Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat rescues in NE England

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Torin., Jul 21, 2021.

1. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Can anyone recommend any? Specifically looking for a rescue (for a friend) who is more progressive in their thinking and open to homing (not just cats who have complex behavioural needs) to an indoor-only home.

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

NE England usually refers to Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Co. Durham, and bits of North Yorks. Cumbria, Merseyside, and Mancs are definitely NW. I suspect Lincs in the Midlands is too far south, but I'll pass them on :)

LMH0307 likes this.
  4. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Westgate arc is based in Newcastle
    Newcastle dog and cat shelter based in Newcastle
    Berwick animal rescue kennels (BARK) based in Berwick

Three I know about, and I am sure there are plenty more!

Torin. likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

We started there, but have run into the issue of a bunch of them appearing to be open to indoor homes from what's publicly viewable, and on first contact when enquiring about cats for indoor homes. But it's not until many many hours have been used filling out said form in detail that they disclose their blanket policy and completely ignore the rest of the cat-specific enrichment offered. Hence figuring that word of mouth was perhaps a better way to find the smaller rescues with more up-to-date policies.

Thanks! Will pass those on as being less pro unsupervised outside access.

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would be sending them a strongly worded email pointing out that not disclosing their blanket policy has wasted a lot of my time, and I won't be recommending them to other would-be adopters. If they have a Facebook site I'd mention it there as well.

Torin. likes this.
  8. Lina84

Lina84 PetForums Junior

If I read your first post right your friend would be open to a cat with health issues. They could think about adopting a cat with fiv, which are not allowed outside. Most rescues have cats with fiv occasionally, cat protection definitely does. But they also get cats that previously were indoor only cats (not in the NE but I found cat protection was really accommodating where I live).

ewelsh and J. Dawson like this.
  9. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I think probably the first one is better than the other two (from people I know who have adopted from there). But worth a try with the other two as well. With the second one we were going to adopt from them years and years ago... but it didn't work out and at the time we were only offering indoor only and wasn't an issue. But I have to admit it was quite a number of years ago...

Torin. likes this.
  10. Lina84

Lina84 PetForums Junior

Torin. likes this.
  11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

@Lina84 theoretically open to FIV+ cats and some disabilities, but not active chronic health issues where more specific health knowledge for ongoing management is required. We've been browsing, and looking for that sort of thing, but haven't come across any cats specifically advertised that way as yet? And now a bit wary of wasting time and energy...

However....

That rescue in Co. Durham looks PERFECT with their homing requirements and detailed behavioural assessments. Thank you for doing the legwork to find them, I think he's going to enquire.

12. Lina84

Lina84 PetForums Junior

@Torin. No worries, when I lived in the NE my flat mate had a special needs cat and she adoped from them, so all I had to do was text her I can understand that this is frustrating. I don't live in NE anymore but have had only good experiences with Cats Protection in the midlands. I think Cats Protection normally let you now about fiv+ cat on their website and you can also search for indoor only cats in your area, but not all branches are equally effective in keeping their website updated. It might be worth calling or emailing if the other charity should not work out.

Torin. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice