Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat regurgitation

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mimma, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

Hi,

my 2 year old cat Rosie has always had regurgitation problems since she was a kitten. She is a healthy cat apart from that. She will regurgitate 5-10 mins after she has eaten. Recently she has decided she will not eat wet food anymore and just wants to be fed on dry food which maybe is making it worse? Not sure what to do

chillminx likes this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

I am sorry to hear about Rosie's problem. What advice has the vet given you?

As you realise it is not normal for a cat to regurgitate their food regularly. What are her stools like - are they firm and formed?

How many meals a day do you give her? It may be that she needs to eat more often. Smaller meals fed more often (including a meal left over night in a timed auto feeder) may be the answer. Cats in the wild would hunt and eat prey up to 8 times a day, so it is not surprising if some domestic cats can't get by on only 2 or 3 meals a day.

3. KittyNat

KittyNat PetForums Junior

Although many do not feed their cats dry food, my cat had this problem so has the Iams fur ball dry cat food.
    She still has wet food pouches as breakfast and dinner. But this has definitely helped a lot with the regurgitation.

4. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

Hi and thanks for the replies! So back from the vet today and was given a few things to try. First try giving her omeprazole and pre soak her dry food before feeding in small amounts. Then if no improvement try the royal canin satiety food. If problem still persists they would have to xray her to see her esophagus when full of food to see what is going on. Vet thinks nothing wrong with her just a behavioural issue.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Mimma

Your vet doesn't sound very sympathetic ! I don't understand what s/he means by "a behavioural issue" in this context? Does the vet mean it is stress related? If so, then it is very important to find out what is making Rosie so stressed that it is affecting her behaviour when she eats,

I think you are taking it very well, I would not be pleased if my vet had said such a dismissive thing about my cat when he was younger and regurgitating his food. [My cat was diagnosed with IBD causing gastric reflux.] However I can see that your vet does take Rosie's condition seriously as s/he has prescribed a proton pump inhibitor for her. PPI medicines suppress gastric acid and my vet will not agree to my IBD cat taking a PPI because of the possible side effects. PPI's are not licensed for use in cats and have only fairly recently been used for cats - unlike HP Blockers such as famotidine which have been in use for some years (alto they are not licensed for use in cats either)

Dry food should never be soaked. It contains bacteria and fungus which remain dormant as long as the food is kept dry. As soon as it becomes damp or wet the bacteria and fungus are activated.

If you are going to soak dry food why not stop the dry food and feed her wet food instead? Wet food is much healthier for her.

Rosie's regurgitation could be a simple matter of her not drinking enough water, so the dry food can't be processed and gets regurgitated. Or it could be that she has gone too long without food, and too much acid has formed in her tummy. This is particularly the case for cats who regurgitate their breakfast.

Or it could be that she eats her food too fast because she has gone too long without a meal. Easily remedied by feeding little and often,

Or it could be that the dry food doesn't agree with her.

How long will Rosie be on the PPI? In humans the course of a PPI is usually for a month without any further investigations.

RC Satiety is another dry food and not a good quality,

6. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

He thinks she just eats too fast and too much. He has given me 7 tablets, half a tablet a day. He just said to monitor the situation to see if it makes a difference. Rosie will refuse to eat wet food, so thats why he advised to pre soak the dry food.
    What food should I try her on?

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cats can become obsessed with dry food, possibly this applies to Rosie. You would need to wean her off it slowly to get her to eat wet food. Just giving her a different wet food is not going to do the trick I think. You can use a small amount of dry food, ground to a powder in a new pepper grinder, to sprinkle a pinch on top of her wet foods.

You mentioned that she has eaten wet foods before ? Which ones?

Have you tried offering her home cooked meats (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef)?

Or considered feeding her a balanced raw diet?

If she is eating too fast, feed her less food each meal and spread her food on a large tea plate (salad plate) to slow her down.

How many meals a day do you give her?

8. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

Lots of good ideas!
    She used to eat whiskas pouches but now decided she hates them. She had access to dry food all the time before as thought that would make her feel secure and not worry about it but now I limit it to 4 times a day.

9. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

She will not touch raw meats

10. Mimma

Mimma PetForums Newbie

And have tried cooked chicken and she barely touches it

11. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Hopefully someone can recommend wet foods that might tempt her. My newest rescue has a tendency to gobble his food and regurgitate, so I now give him a half pouch as soon as we wake up, then the other half maybe 10 mins later. Even this small gap seems to prevent him bringing it back up. He is only fed wet though and will eat whatever is put in front of him so can’t recommend anything to tempt a fussy eater

chillminx likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Whiskas is not a good quality food. Better quality foods are available on line from Zooplus UK. Have a look at the pinned thread for ideas. Note that tinned wet food is better value than pouches of wet food.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

If you prefer to buy from UK pet stores then foods such as Natures Menu, Country Hunter, HiLife Chicken Dinner, Lily's Kitchen,. Or try some of the supermarket own makes such as Sainsbury's. (not Tesco's own make though).

13. Daffne

Daffne PetForums Junior

When I adopted my cat, she was accustomed to a dry food diet and treated wet food with great suspicion.

The trouble was that she was clearly constipated and drank very little water.

For that reason I wanted to transition her to eating a largely wet food diet.

Basically, I bought a variety of tins of food and put some out each day before putting out any dry food.

At first she ignored the wet food and waited for the dry food to appear, and I wasted a lot of tinned food in the process.

But eventually she sampled some wet food and I worked out which ones she liked.

She now has an 80 percent wet food diet and is no longer constipated.

I don’t suggest denying your cat dry food if she really won’t touch wet food, but I did find that putting the wet food out first and delaying the dry food encouraged a transition, and K-W now definitely enjoys her favourite wet foods.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice