Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat reaction to loxicom oral solution for cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Brenda Stewart, May 20, 2019.

1. Brenda Stewart

Brenda Stewart PetForums Newbie

Hello I would like some advice on loxicom for cats. I have an elderly 18 year old cat who has slowed down lately. She doesn’t eat as much as she used to and her walking seems stiff. She has had arthritis for a few years for which we give her arthriaid. But as she isn’t eating much she hasn’t been taking it. On another note, I’ve started giving her some through a dropper directly into her mouth. Would this be ok or does it have to be mixed into food?
    In regards to my cat, I decided to take her to the vet to ensure she isn’t suffering. The vet said she could be nearing her end of life stage. She suggested giving her loxicom for a week to see will it ease any discomfort and help give her a boost and be more comfortable. But since giving it to her she has changed quickly. She sleeps way more and eats much less. She got sick one morning also. Yesterday she slept
    So much and seemed so unlike herself I was sure she was dying. We decided to reduce her dose and today she was far more alert and awake. Walked around a bit and ate a bit more and drank lots of water. Is I possible the loxicom had a bad effect?. I can’t tell if she is just dying or if it is the medicine is affecting her. I just don’t want her to be suffering and I’m not sure what to do. Ideally I’d like her to die at home as the vet causes her so much stress so I’m
    Reluctant to take her back to them but I want to do what’s right for her. Any advice would be great.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Brenda Stewart and welcome :)

Loxicom is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (an NSAID) and must be given with food.

It is not suitable to give it to a cat who has kidney problems as it can cause acute renal failure . Does your cat have chronic kidney disease? (common in elderly cats).

For a cat who does not have kidney disease Loxicom is usually OK, but side effects may happen with some cats. If your girl seemed better without the Loxicam then I would not give it to her. Main thing is that she is comfortable and not in pain. You could discuss alternative pain relief with your vet.

3. Brenda Stewart

Brenda Stewart PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your very kind response. Yes we have given her food with it and for first two days she would eat after it but now she won’t. I think it might be upsetting her stomach. So I reduced her dose by half to see if that helps. But yes I think I will stop
    Giving it to her. I just worry if I do that she would be in pain but It was only a weeks dose to begin with anyway. And no she has no kidney issues, I have been very careful
    To watch for symptoms of that as she has gotten older and have taken her to the vet to be tested not long ago and her kidney function is good. I’m just relieved that side effects can happen as I haven’t been able to tell if she is actually dying or the medicine is causing her to feel unwell. The vet didn’t go through any of that with me. Thank you for your response, I think I’ll contact the vet tomorrow to discuss other options! :)

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice