Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat randomly flicks litter out the tray?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by chloe12345, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:46 AM.

1. chloe12345

chloe12345 PetForums Newbie

My 6 month old cat has recently been putting his two front paws in the litter tray and with one paw flicks loads of litter out the tray and walks off?

Really confused - anyone know why this is?

We clean the litter tray every single day and scoop the poop out straight after he has been the toilet so it can’t be dirty?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @chloe12345 -

A few questions :) :-

1/ Has your kitten been neutered yet? If not, then his litter tray behaviour may be associated wth sexual maturity and scent marking (i.e. his scent is in the litter, even when you have scooped and so he is spreading his scent outside the tray ) .

If he has not been neutered I advise you to get him done straight away to avoid any other unwanted behaviours developing, associated with an un-neutered male e.g. spraying urine indoors.

2/ How many litter trays does he have? A young kitten will often be OK with one tray, but as the kitten reaches sexual maturity (from 4 months onwards) they will need at least 2 trays. one for pee and one for poo. Which tray they use for which purpose, may vary from day to day. The trays must be placed in separate spots in the house, not near each other.

3/ What type of litter do you provide for him? Non-clumping litters become smelly very quickly and it is best to dispose of the whole lot in the tray daily and replace with a fresh lot.

He will be OK at his age with clumping litter, preferably a granular one, such as Cats Best OKO Plus or Catsan Natural plant-based litter. Cats Best is very good at absorbing odours.

3. chloe12345

chloe12345 PetForums Newbie

Hey thanks so much for replying! In regards to your questions...

He has recently been neutered yes! Do you still think he could be spreading his scent around maybe?

He has two litter trays around the house, however he only does it with the one in the kitchen!

We use non-clumping i think, maybe this is why he is doing it! Do you recommend we buy clumping then?

Again, thanks so much for helping me - you were so helpful the first few weeks I got my kitten (my first thread)! :)

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thanks Chloe, :) I remember your user name and am glad I was able to help when you first got your kitten. :)

As he has recently been been neutered the litter tray behaviour might possibly have something to do with his hormones, as levels will still be high for a few months after the op.

But just in case the litter's bothering him, I would experiment by adding an extra tray with a granular clumping litter in it; place new tray in the kitchen and see if he uses it in preference to the other kitchen tray. And if so whether he still flicks litter out of the tray.

Some cats do like to flick litter even after neutering, and if your boy is one of those it may turn out to be best to get him a high sided litter box, or a covered tray.

I'll be interested to hear how things go. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice