Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat pulling fur out after operation

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by herocat, Mar 17, 2017.

1. herocat

herocat PetForums Newbie

Two weeks ago my 2yo cat had an operation to drain an abscess he got from an infected bite, it was left open to heal up and all looks healthy and closed up now. Quite a large area of his back was shaved, and the fur is starting to grow back again.

The issue is that he is pulling out the fur around the edge of the shaved area. We noticed a bit of fur around the house, but actually saw him today biting and pulling it out! It seems to be coming out easily but not sure why he is doing this, he's never done it before. He otherwise seems healthy - we were worried he was going a bit stir crazy and distressed as he had to stay inside, but he's now been let back outside again.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome!

Aww your poor cat, When one of my cats were spayed she would bite at the area which was shaved, I put it down to being itchy as all her scar was healing well.
    If your cats wound is healing and your not concerned of infection I would just keep an eye on it or distract when he goes to bite that area, if your cat is still doing this in a few days time I would pop to the vets for a quick check up!
    I'd say itchy!
    I've always wondered why the vets shave such a large area when a smaller area would survice.

Hope he is back to full health soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice