Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Pregnancy Nightmare

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bubbalou x, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Bubbalou x

Bubbalou x PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm posting this for advice about my mums cat, so my mum has a cat (British shorthair) which she had a litter from in may, all went fine no problems (had 3 kittens) she is strictly an indoor only cat, she had not had a heat cycle my mum noticed as shes at home all the time and she says her cat is normally very vocal in heat, I went round to visit her with my young son a few weeks ago (4/5) and he let her cat out ‍♀️ we were absolutely beside ourselves but she ended up coming back a few hours later (still no signs of being in heat) it has now turned out she is pregnant, for the second time this year, and I feel absolutley devastated as I feel it's my fault as my son let her out, shes going to the vets tomorrow but does anyone have any advice on what to do for the best. Thankyou.

2. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

The vet may still be able to do a neuter her and terminate the pregnancy depending on how far along she is. Fingers crossed. It certainly won’t do her any good having another litter after only giving birth a few months ago,

chillminx likes this.
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

She'll likely cope just fine having a litter 6-7 months apart. However if your mother isn't a registered breeder she really needs to have her spayed.

Cats don't need to be in heat to get pregnant, they are induced ovulaters, heat just makes then more receptive

#3 spotty cats, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    cheekyscrip likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's an easy one. What's best for the cat is to spay the cat.

5. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I would say have the kittens as it is and spay her as soon as possible.

Best luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice