Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat pregnancy advice

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Sam2703, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Sam2703

Sam2703 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, new here so please be gentle.

My cat is pregnant, accidentally may I add. Was told she was “done” when I got her. Obviously they lied.
    she came into heat (very surprised) she escaped when we tried to keep her in. And the deed has been done.

Anyway, I’m confused at show far along she actually is?

She came into heat on April 18th to the 22nd April.

She’s heavily pregnant now, but confused on the weeks, as she hasn’t started nesting yet or anything?

Thanks

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What a shame you didn't get her spayed as soon as she was back. At that point in time conception would not have occurred.

However you are where you are, and lots of people get lied to about this.

A normal pregnancy is 65 days give or take a few, so 22nd to 26th June. I have always taken the due week off work when my pedigree girls have been due so it doesn't matter that I'm bleary with sleeping with them. I've been lucky, all have delivered at a reasonable hour.

As well as finding out your vet's out of hours arrangements (you might have to go somewhere different), the following gives you lots of information:

https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens

She will need someone out of the hustle & bustle (if any) to give birth and rear her kittens for at least the first 2-3 weeks. I find a cardboard box lined with some sort of fleece (fleece blankets, cheap imitation vetbed) and with a puppy pad underneath the bedding or the box is idea. I fold the flaps over and cut a hole she can just squeeze through in the end. The box often needs replacing after delivery if it's got wet with birth fluids, but once I've got a girl in her long-term box I start gradually making the hole bigger once the kittens eyes have opened. By about 3 weeks they can get in & out, and you need to be very sure there are no tiny nooks & crannies they can hide in.

spotty cats, AmsMam and moggie14 like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

I forgot to say you must NOT let her out again until she is spayed.
    • You don't want her choosing somewhere outside the house to have her kittens
    • You don't want her going out and not coming home when she's feeding kittens - hand reading is not easy
    • Cats can get pregnant again as little as a couple of weeks after delivery, you don't want another litter - at least I very much hope you don't

spotty cats likes this.
  4. Sam2703

Sam2703 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply, ah so she’ll be ready as little as next week then? I have sorted her a box out, she’s actually been led in it a lot today! I’ll grab some puppy pads etc to put in there for her then. I can book the time of work no problem.

And I have my vets details to hand. I have been keeping her in the house for the past week. So will not be letting her out now until she’s spayed.

Never experienced all this before and I’m very nervous for her and myself!

Been reading up a lot on all of this.

So any advice is very helpful and appreciated

5. OrientalSlave

Could be any time next week as first mating was probably the day she got out, and any time from 60 days is possible so that's any day from Sunday...

6. Namai

Namai PetForums Newbie

Cats will often consume more water near to the birth, so moniter that and you can get a better idea of when she will give birth, and you may want to keep the birthing box nearby, so you can moniter the kittens' and the mother's health.

7. Sam2703

Sam2703 PetForums Newbie

Ok, I’ll keep my eye out on her drinking water, she has been drinking more and more actually.

I’m really nervous, I feel so irresponsible and guilty. But I was told she was already “done”

She was 6 months old when I got her and now she’s about 14 months old.

Thanks again for you advice

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

None of my girls have ever started drinking more water.

Hopefully you’re planning on keeping the kittens for at least 12 weeks before rehoming, they should also be neutered before placement, mum can go in at the same time as the kittens.

9. OrientalSlave

Has she not exhibited obvious 'strange' behaviour in the 8 months you've had her? With most females it's blatantly obvious that 'something' is going on.

spotty cats likes this.
  10. Sam2703

Sam2703 PetForums Newbie

Oh is it 12 weeks I thought it wa 8? That’s fine though. And yes I’ll be taking them all to be checked and neutered before they go

11. Sam2703

Sam2703 PetForums Newbie

There was no strange behaviour at all, well I don’t think there was, I have never owned a cat before. It was only blatantly obvious the day she came into heat. We tried to keep her in, but my son opened his window and she escaped.

No point dwelling on the past 8 months now anyway is there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice