Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat prefers the dog food...what to do?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by classixuk, Apr 14, 2011.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I have a problem with my cat at the moment...

He's taken a fondness to eating the dog's food (Royal Canin Giant Adult Kibble...designed for large breed dogs). Not really a problem I guess, but it means the dog ends up at the cat bowl eating the Whiskas in revenge.

One animal is getting half the amount of vitamin A he needs, whilst the other is getting double!

Short of forcing a Vitamin A tablet down the cat's throat, I'm not really sure what else I can do?

Set feeding times aren't really my thing. I tend to feed the cat when he miaows at me that there is no food left in his bowl. As for the dog, well he always has food in his bowl. It would take a long time for a cat to finish a meal meant for a 110lb dog!

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

normally cat food is out all day & dogs fed at set times.

it isnt good for cats too keep eating dog food, nor the other waey round, so id just feed them seperate, maybe get a cardboard box and put the cats food in it? that way he can only get to it?

It isnt just the vit A, its taurine/protein and other vits etc

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That would be a great idea...if it were the dog who were stealing the cats food, but it's not. It's the other way around.

The cat just doesn't seem interested in his food at all since he discovered the taste of Royal Canin Giant Adult. He literally snubs his food bowl (wherever it is placed) in favour of the dog's food bowl.

Once the dog sees his food being taken, he hunts out the cats bowl and 'returns the favour'.

At first, it was quite funny to watch the cat climb up into the dog's food bowl and try to work his way through the food. Each piece of kibble is the size of a small mouse. But now, it's starting to annoy me. The dogs breath stinks of cat food, and the floor around the dog bowl is always covered in crumbs where the cat has been breaking apart giant pieces of kibble.

The cat will only miaow for more food in his bowl once the dog has polished it off for him. They're like kids swapping vegetables.

I'm concerned though due to the lack of vitamin A in the cat's diet. He's 13...he could do with all the help he gets. I'm not sure how much wildlife he catches when he's out, so I'm not sure of his exact nutritional requirements.
    :confused:

4. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

Well, I'm no expert, but maybe try a trial size packet of a Royal Canin cat food? If it's the size of the kibble I know Royal Canin does a large kibble size for maine coons, but I imagine it'll be perfectly fine for any cat breed. Don't know what else to suggest.

dobermummy and Gratch like this.
  5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

:eek:

That's a bloody great suggestion!!!!

I will do that when I am next near a pet shop.

Thank you so much xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    :eek:

6. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

It is a pretty damn good suggestion :D I'm a numpty, never even thought of it!

7. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Cat food isn't good for dogs, doesn't your dog eat as soom as you feed it or is it free fed?

8. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Another possibility is that the cat is eating the dog's food to show him who the boss is - I know ours does. Sometimes the dog snaps at her to keep her away, but most of the time he just sits there looking depressed as he watches her eat his food...

We keep her food out of his way on the stairs behind a child-gate, doesn't stopping him noisily scoffing the lot if we forget and leave the gate open.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Another thought, that might save a wee bit of cash - try crushing up a couple of the dog kibbles & putting them on top of the cats wet food. THEN you will know if the cat is after the food or being domineering....

10. Melly

Melly PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice