UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is pouncing on them, biting them, nothing viscous, she is not hissing or anything like that. Could it be because they have started opening their eyes?
Is this behavior normal?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
No its not normal unless she has rejected them, which is unusual at this stage. You need to separate mum from kittens for their safety for a couple of days and then short supervised visits to see if this behaviour has stopped. You will need to feed the kittens in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Just read your other thread. Is she actually feeding them? If so, then I would supervise feeds and then keep her out of the room until the next feed. If not, then you need to quickly get a feeding bottle and start feeding them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is still feeding them but seems to be a little restless or ''bored''. I don't want them being hurt though so I will have to feed them myself. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She seems to be spending a lot of time sat outside of their box, just watching them, this behavior only seems to happen late at night (right now), the same happened last night but she seems settled and happy all day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
She seems to be spending a lot of time sat outside of their box, just watching them, this behavior only seems to happen late at night (right now), the same happened last night but she seems settled and happy all day.
Out of interest has mummy been calling ? or acting like she does when on heat ?
Very common for cats to come back on heat a few days to weeks after giving birth. which can make them restless.
Also if she is feeding them don't stop her just watch her when she gets restless. while a mum is still feeding that is what is best for the kittens :)

I would definitely supervise whilst she is in the room with them. At this age, the mum rarely leaves them, so something is not right.
Unless on heat then a mummy cat will happily leave the kittens to go mate then come back a few hours latter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is only 1, so she is pretty young, have not really experienced what she sounds like in heat, she has not been calling. The biting is not hard at all, she is also cleaning them too and she has now settled down and feeding them, I will deffo supervise her though as I do not want her hurting them.

She comes out of the box for food and toilet, and tends to lie or sit right outside of it looking in, she will start to go on her front legs and pounce in. this behavior lasts about 20 mins, she has some food then settles. I think I will see how the supervision goes, as she is doing good feeding them, and get things tomorrow just incase I need to feed them myself, thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
She is only 1, so she is pretty young, have not really experienced what she sounds like in heat, she has not been calling. The biting is not hard at all, she is also cleaning them too and she has now settled down and feeding them, I will deffo supervise her though as I do not want her hurting them.

She comes out of the box for food and toilet, and tends to lie or sit right outside of it looking in, she will start to go on her front legs and pounce in. this behavior lasts about 20 mins, she has some food then settles. I think I will see how the supervision goes, as she is doing good feeding them, and get things tomorrow just incase I need to feed them myself, thanks.
Okay to me this does not sound bad :) still keep an eye on her. But this sounds like she is just having some crazy time before she goes and feeds them again. Our girl milio does it, she feeds them till they sleep, then she gets out eats, drinks, then all hell breaks lose lol and she will run around like a fool. Milo also lay's next to the box the kittens are in, to keep an eye on them but be able to stretch out more.
Mum cats do not need to be with the kittens 24/7. As long as she is feeding them and the kittens are gaining at least 10g a day more is better but all is good :)

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Please, please, please don't start feedin gkittens if mum is still doing it. Why interrupt this? No, supervise instead, and maybe when she starts to pounce on the babies, get out a wand toy and distract her? Sounds like she is just a very confused mummy. At 1 she is still pretty much a baby herself, so may be getting mixed up and thinking that they are her little toys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advise, i'm making some toys for her to play with tonight when the behavior may start again, I have been keeping a close eye on her, she is pouncing into the box but not onto the kittens, I will not feed them myself as she is doing a great job of it, and there has been no biting today :)

She does get out to stretch, must be a pain being stuck in a box with limited space all day, I would be the same, I am not worrying too much now so thankyou :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.