Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat possible cause of death

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gerardo, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Gerardo

Gerardo PetForums Newbie

Good morning
    Im here to ask for your opinion about what could be the causw of death of my cat.

Little background.
    Im from mexico
    Living in a little town where there is only 1 vet (mostly for dogs) so we can assume is a bad one.
    My cats are persian.
    Vet was outside town and would return until today morning
    They are always indoor
    Cat was around 6 years old

What happened
    Saturday night my cat was just fine
    Sunday morning everything normal
    By afternoon (around 2pm) it started to cough, like trying to vomit fur.
    By 5pm he did vomit but was only like white foam and was crying a lot
    By 8pm he was still crying and trying to vomit and stop moving (guess he was tired of trying to vomit)
    By 9m he was just crying, not moving at all (not able to stand up)
    I was by his side until 1am when unfortunately he just stop breathing.

I have one more persian cat, his sister, and im really scare of what happened could be repeated with her.
    I have a little indoor garden where this year some mushrooms growth out of nowhere (guessing it came with the change of earth we put in every year).
    Could it be allergies? Mushroom was not bitten.

Thank for your time
    Regards

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Three possibilities spring to my mind: Poisoning, Swallowed Foreign Object or heart related.

Poisoning: this can happen accidentally or sadly deliberately. The former could be caused by licking or eating a substance. Most common in house cats are plants. We're there any new plants, either grown in the garden or house plants?
    You mention the mushrooms and some mushrooms/toadstools are incredibly poisonous. I'd get rid of them just in case.
    What about other new plants?? Lillies are one of the most dangerous plants for cats as the entire plant (stem, leaves, petals, pollen) are poisonous.
    Foreign Object: cats are notorious for swallowing things they shouldn't, such as needles and thread. But it could be anything really, a small toy, a pen cap, a piece of bone etc. etc. One of my Persians almost died because a furball became lodged in her intestines and needed major surgery to remove it.
    Heart issues: catastrophic symptoms of cardiomyopathy can strike without warning. Sometimes the cat will die suddenly having appeared perfectly normal just minutes before. Others will become suddenly paralyzed, particularly in the back legs, or will struggle to breathe. This is because a blood clot has formed in the heart then travelled through the arteries and becomes lodged somewhere. Cats with this can often cry out as it is painful.

Without a post mortem it will be impossible to know exactly what happened to your cat, but I'm guessing such things are not done in Mexico.

TriTri, Linda Weasel and lymorelynn like this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @Gerardo, I am so sorry for your loss. My first thought was swallowing something he shouldn’t have or poisoned by something. Get rid of those mushrooms and anything at all which could harm your dear cat. Read up on all harmful foods, drinks, liquids, plants, flowers etc, to reduce the chances of this happening again. I wouldn’t leave anything small lying around, that your cat could get access to and accidentally swallow. Keep an eye on anything brought into the home by visitors or any other members of the home. R.I.P dear cat.

4. Gerardo

Gerardo PetForums Newbie

Ty for ur response.
    Ill get rid of the mushroom. Thats the only new thing in the house.
    Regards

5. Gerardo

Gerardo PetForums Newbie

tRegards

Thanks for ur time.
    Maybe it was the mushroom so ill get rid of them.
    Hopefully nothing will happen to the sister.
    Thanks, regards

TriTri likes this.
  6. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Good idea Gerardo; don’t forget to not just dig up the fungi you can see, but also what lies beneath the surface of the ground also, (any early growth of fungi that’s too small to see by eye).

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would change the earth entirely, get some new from a different shop this time.

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice