Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat poops in the litter box... and then occasionally on the floor T_T

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by iaveina, Sep 11, 2018.

1. iaveina

iaveina PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I have read the peeing/pooping thread but am at my wit's end with my lovely, newly adopted 4 year old cat.

He uses the litter box, I've seen him pee and poop in it and I've fussed and given treats accordingly... but he also likes to poop on the rug. This usually happens 1 or 2 times a week - last week I thought we'd got past it but literally on the 7th day there it was... poop.

I have cleaned the rug within an inch of its life with an enzymatic cleaner, dug out the UV torch and still he's pooping on it. I've moved the rug itself into a completely different room, cleaned it, put newspaper over it and still poop...

I've changed his litter box from a covered one to an open one and he seems to like it more, at least the pooping episodes went down, and the litter box is cleaned twice a day... The vet also says he's fine, and the rug!poop consistency is normal so my question is... any ideas on why he could be doing this when he obviously knows and uses the litter box?

2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

First thought is to add a second litter box. It may just be that the timing of the cleans is off for him. If he needs a poop and there’s wee in the box, he may not want to use it. So adding a second box gives him more room to play with so to speak.

My cat uses two boxes interchangeably. He definitely favours the upstairs one for poop, he will happily pee in either, and honestly he is happy to poop (so far) in one that has pee in - sometimes he does a pee then a poo! - but that could change.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @iaveina and welcome :)

A 4 yr old cat needs at least 2 litter trays, as cats natural instinct is to pee and poo in different places. Ensure you place the trays in different areas of the home, not together. But the new trays should be in places that he often goes to in the house.

As you are having this problem I would give him 2 more trays for the moment, making 3 in all, and make them all open trays. You may be able to reduce to 2 trays once he is using the trays for poo OK.

If he poos on the rug again, pick up the poo and put it in one of the new trays. Leave it there for a few hours. He will smell it there, no need to point it out to him.

For the moment I would take up the rug if you can, and put it back down once he is using the trays for his poo.

His poo should be firm and formed. If it is at all soft this could make him avoid the tray. It is a hygiene issue for him if so, as he will not want to contaminate his trays with soft poos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice