Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat pooping issue - anyone had similar?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by pillybamb, Apr 29, 2011.

1. pillybamb

pillybamb PetForums Newbie

Hi there - apologies if this isn't the right place for this or you've heard this a million times before - I'm new (but I did try to search for previous posts first).

I have a 2 year old indoor only cat (she is partially blind). We got her from a shelter about 4 months ago and she's been fine until about a month ago. She used to use her litter tray fine, but has for the past few weeks starting to poop in it, but then running off around the room while bits of poo continue to come out and sometimes dragging her bottom across the floor. Occassionally she'll pee outside of the litter box in various places. We have been to the vet twice - the first time he checked her anal glands and anus which both seemed fine and he gave her a course of antibiotics and a short term injection of an anti-inflammatory. This didn't work, so he has now given her a longer acting injection of anti-inflammatory and a pro-biotic medicine for us to give her each day. This doesn't seem to be having any effect either.

The situation is incredibly stressful because our home is very small, but we seem to be continually cleaning up poop and urine everywhere, not to mention the expense of using the anti-urine cleaning stuff. She seems to have got poop on almost every bit of furniture over the last month and it feels like our home is pretty disgusting despite all the cleaning. We also don't want our cat to be in any discomfort but don't know what else we can do to help her. Each trip to the vets is expensive and doesn't seem to help or solve the problem.

There is clearly some kind of health issue, so I wondered if the symptom of her only starting to do her poop in the litter box and running around doing little poops (and sometimes dragging her behind) was familiar to anyone else. I feel like if I could just get a diagnosis of what it probably is I could then try and sort out the solution, eg if it's IBS, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice