Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Peeing Problem :(

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CatLadyLili, Jan 14, 2020.

1. CatLadyLili

CatLadyLili PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have 2 indoor only cats, Lili (5) and Amy (3), both spayed as young kittens, friendly to each other.

Lili has been peeing on one spot outside the litterbox for months now, even on the wall!
    We had 2 litterboxes when this behavior started. She always pees in a specific corner in the living room. Just pees, she defecates into the litterboxes. We tried several things - firstly, we placed one of the litterboxes into that corner. It did not help. She peed right next to it.

I tried to clean that corner thoroughly, with chemicals so harsh it made me cough and I scratched off some of the wall paint. Then I tried scented candles, and this spray from the pet shop that is supposed to deter cats from that place. Nothing helped. I poured pure alcohol into that spot and the whole living room smelled awful, it obviously stank for our cats too, yet she STILL peed into that corner! I went to the vet, because she used to pee into our bed as a tiny kitten, when she caught a cold, but the vet says she is ok, and told me to try soaking a piece of toilet paper iwith her pee and place it under the litterbox sand. I tried placing old carpets there. Did not help either.

Then I placed an open litterbox there, thinking she might not like the closed litterboxes.. and it helped! But.. my boyfriend (we live together), could not stand the smell from an open litterbox and he took it away... We didnt know what to do anymore.. we closed the living room and didnt let the cats go there for weeks, thinking it might help stop the behavior. When she had no access to the living room, she always peed into her 2 closed litterboxes. So after a couple weeks we let them go into the living room again... and she started peeing into that corner again.. we bought a third closed litterbox, thinking 2 litterboxes might not be enough for them... she still pees right next to it.. I dont know what to do anymore. Is she scared of something outside? We have huge windows in the living room. We also placed some new furniture into the living room but that was before she started peeing there. I even thought she might be bored and she is crying for attention, so I started going out with her for walks and nothing is helping. She peed into her litterbox normally for 4 years, except when she caught a cold as a kitten.

I am desperate, this constant cleaning every day is really tiring and not normal. What do I do?

#1 CatLadyLili, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

[QUOTE="CatLadyLili, post: 1065557952, member: 1499893

Then I placed an open litterbox there, thinking she might not like the closed litterboxes.. and it helped! But.. my boyfriend (we live together), could not stand the smell from an open litterbox and he took it away... We didnt know what to do anymore..
    ?[/QUOTE]
    I think you have answered your own question ,many cats dislike closed litter trays.
    A litter tray shouldn't smell badly so maybe you need to look at the litter you use.
    Think about it from your cats point of view , if your boyfriend says he cant stand the smell from an open litter tray your poor cat whose sense of smell is far greater, isn't going to use a box that stinks.

OrientalSlave, chillminx and lorilu like this.
  3. CatLadyLili

CatLadyLili PetForums Newbie

I think you have answered your own question ,many cats dislike closed litter trays.
    A litter tray shouldn't smell badly so maybe you need to look at the litter you use.
    Think about it from your cats point of view , if your boyfriend says he cant stand the smell from an open litter tray your poor cat whose sense of smell is far greater, isn't going to use a box that stinks.[/QUOTE]

While that is true, the cat peed in the litterbox normally for weeks, when I didnt let her into the living room so she didnt have access to her favorite peeing spot. All I can think of at this point is cleaning the litterboxes more thoroughly and more frequently.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@CatLadyLili

I agree with buffie. You found something that worked to solve your problem - an open litter box placed in the living room.

It is not always easy to solve house soiling problems, but you did so! :) So put back an open tray in the living room for Lili, and hopefully your problem will be solved.:)

Litter boxes should not smell bad if you are providing the cats with a good quality clumping litter, and are clearing the trays of wet clumps at least twice a day. Poo deposits should always be cleared as soon as possible after being deposited. The trays should be emptied of litter at least every few weeks and cleaned, and re-filled with new litter.

However if Lili's urine smells very strong it could be an indication that she has a urinary tract infection (UTI). (UTIs may make the urine smell pungent). I would advise obtaining a urine sample from her if you can, and taking it to the vet for testing for infection. Or take her to the vet and they will take a sample of urine by cystocentesis straight from the bladder. Avoiding the litter tray and soiling the floor is not unusual if there is a UTI. It happens because the cat associates the litter tray with pain.

Meanwhile, any cat who has a bladder problem of any kind (including soiling) should be on a wet food diet only (NO dry) so the bladder is kept flushed regularly through to prevent bladder crystals or sludge developing. A cat on a dry food diet is incapable of drinking enough water to keep themselves fully hydrated. Cats need fluids within their foods, i.e. wet food or raw food.

3 litter trays is the minimum number of trays for 2 indoor cats. But in view of your current problem with Lili I would provide 4 trays. i.e. the open tray in the living room and another open tray somewhere else in the house. (in addition to the two closed trays) A cat does not usually like peeing and pooing in the same litter tray, although which of their trays they pee or poo in can change from day to day.

#4 chillminx, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    buffie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice