Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat peeing outside of litter tray

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lynne Chatterton, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Lynne Chatterton

Lynne Chatterton PetForums Newbie

My cat Paddy is around 14 and recently, after i 'stupidly' changed his litter box for a bigger one, he started to pee over or to the side of it. We have changed to a smaller tray and left the bigger one too. He now pees outside both of them on the newspaper i leave underneath. I need help as i'm running out of newspaper??!!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Lynne Chatterton and welcome :)

Has Paddy been checked by the vet for a urinary tract infection? A UTI can sometimes cause a cat to avoid the litter tray and pee next to it, or elsewhere in the house. It is because they associate the litter tray with the pain they feel from the UTI.

Changes in litter tray habits in a senior cat can sometimes be an early indication of a health issue of older cats such as Chronic Kidney Disease, Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes Type 2, or high blood pressure. I would recommend Paddy having a regular check up (blood test & urinalysis) at the vet, as a precaution. Chronic diseases common in older cats can usually be well managed with medicines.

MaggieDemi and buffie like this.
  3. Lynne Chatterton

Hi we had considered this and he has had previous issues with kidney stones when he was younger. We will get this checked with the vet but still feel it is a behavioural issue. I did, unfortunately, change and move his litter tray without thinking and the problems seemed to start at that time.
    Thanks for your advice around this

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is true that cats hate their litter trays being moved to new spots. It upsets their 'mental map' of where their resources are.

Could you move his tray back to where it was before you moved it and add a couple of extra trays in different places?

5. Lynne Chatterton

Hi thanks for the advice. We got him a 2nd tray and put this in another corner of the room. On the first night he pooed in both trays and weed outside of one of the trays on the newspaper. We had now put the new smaller tray back where the original tray was and will see if he has weed on the paper again. We are trying not to change too much at once so not to confuse him. Trial and error over the next few weeks. Thank you.

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good luck. Please let us know how things go.:)

7. Lynne Chatterton

Hi we are a few months on but still have probs. Paddy will use the litter sometimes but then randomly wee on the floor or the rug. We can have 3 or 4 days when he uses the tray but then randomly he doesn't.
    Is there any more advice you can offer?
    We took him to the vets and they said thete were no health issues at all. They gave us some gel to put on his paws that he then licks off. This is meant to calm him but didnt make a diffetence to where he pees!

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Lynne, I understand it does probably seem random when he opts to pee on the floor or the rug instead of in the trays, but there will be a reason for it from his POV. It is a matter of us figuring out what the reason is and that is not always easy.

Do you still provide at least 2 litter trays for him and are they positioned in different parts of the house?

Which type of litter do you provide? Cats often prefer a fine granular clumping litter such as Cats Best Oko Plus or Worlds Best. Litters such as wood pellets or Catsan are not liked by some cats, and the older they get the more fussy they may get about having the right litter.

Is he fed a wet food diet, no dry food (or very little dry food)? For any cat with a bladder problem such as soiling, a wet food is healthier for his bladder and kidneys especially at the age of 14. A diet high in fluids is less likely to result in cystitis or struvite crystals in the bladder which can cause tray avoidance due to discomfort.

Did the vet carry out a urinalysis as well as blood tests (in view of your cat being a senior,) to check for any of the chronic diseases of feline old age? . e.g. CKD, Hyperthyroid disease, Diabetes type 2, High Blood Pressure, reduced vision, or dementia ?

Is he an outdoor cat, or an indoor cat?

Is he your only pet?

How does he react to strangers being in the house? Does he get agitated or frightened? Do any of the tray avoidance episodes coincide with anything unusual in the home e.g. visitors, work being done on the house, or you being out more than usual?

If he seems agitated on the days he soils the floor or rug I would give him a course of Zylkene, a calming supplement which comes in capsules you open and add the powder to his food.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zylkene-75...2512193&sr=8-2&keywords=zylkene+75mg+for+cats

My instinct, as the soiling is intermittent, is the cause could be physical discomfort in his bladder. When soiling is intermittent it is not necessarily something whose cause can be identified by the vet.

9. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Member

I put a rubber mat under the litter trays. It's there primarily to collect loose litter and stop it getting all over the place, but it also will collect stray piss.

They say they can't be washed in a machine but I have. I don't believe you can wash them time and again in the washing machine but so far mine have been ok and they've been washed maybe 5 or 6 times each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easyology-Jumbo-Size-Cat-Litter/dp/B01ERRHNGA/

There's different sizes available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice