Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Peeing on the carpet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by badbudgie, Aug 17, 2009.

1. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Hi,

Can anyone offer some advice? I have two cats, one male (3) and one female (4), one or both of them have started peeing behind the TV. The problem when you have two is that I don't know which one it is, I think it's Lola as the wee doesn't smell as pongy as Mani's does.

They are indoor cats and have one litter tray between them which they have had since we took them in 3 years ago, plus I have always used the same wood based cat litter.

I haven't moved the litter tray, I have changed their food recently but it's a higher % of meat and they are eating more of it than their usual lower % meat. But I thought this would be better for them.

We are going to buy some proper spray to clean the carpet with tonight which apparently discourages them from going back to mark the same spot.

I scrubbed the litter tray out this morning in case the smell of old wees was off-putting.

Anything else? I wondered whether another litter tray may help but we kinda don't have the room.

I would rather squeeze another litter tray in than Lola electricutes herself pittling behind the TV!

2. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

Is there anything you can put behind there to discourage them? My mum used to put upturned bowls etc behind the tv - anything to make it hard for them to get comfortable behind there.

It is strange that they've started doing that though with no changes - might just be that as they're getting older they dont like sharing a tray.

3. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hello

Spraying is marking behavior, not a litter box problem. The cat does not need to pee, he is leaving a message for other cats.

Spraying is territorial and can also be stress related. Neutering or spaying a kitten at an early age can prevent spraying problems in the future. Your vet should advise you on whats best .

hope this helps with your problems....:)

4. badbudgie

After we clean up I think I will put some obstacles behind there to stop them going behind it.

Maybe if I get two smaller litter trays and put them side by side. They are mother and son so have been used to each other for, well, all of Mani's life! Maybe he needs his own loo now he is a grown man?!

My OH is not impressed, I need it sorting before it gets any worse. We can't afford a new carpet, and am a bit loath to get one if they are just going to wee on it!

5. badbudgie

See I don't think this is Spraying as it's a big patch of wee, which doesn't particularly smell, I think it's just a regular wee. We actually thought their water glass has been spilt but it was definitely wee. (They have a pint glass in the window to encourage them to drink more)

I should have mentioned they are both spayed/neuterred and have been done when they were both less than a year old.

They are going for their boosters on Wednesday and am going to mention it to the vet to see if they have any suggestions.

6. badbudgie

Well we got some cleaning products from the pet shop and cleaned all the area behind the TV. It didn't really smell bad before but smells nice and fresh now.

We have rearranged the living room so the litter tray is now where she was weeing on the carpet and we have moved the TV to the other side of the fire place.

I hope this solves the problem!

7. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I would still mention this to your vet when you take them in so they can check the cat hasn't got a UTI.:D

8. badbudgie

Yes I will mention it when they go for their boosters tomorrow.

OH was threatening to get rid of her if she doesn't change her ways, he should know better!
    I guess that's what happens when you take in a pre-loved cat, she has baggage!

9. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

Good luck!
    I would get rid of OH before i got rid of one of my cats, and he knows it ;)

10. kittycats2

kittycats2 PetForums Newbie

Sorry to impose on the thread, but i have a very similar problem where my 2 year old cat (tiddles) likes to go to the loo under my OH son's bed, we only have him a few nights a week, so the room is usually shut up the rest of the time... he woke my us in the middle of one night and said " daddy daddy, tiddles is having a wee under my bed!" :blush2:

I just wanted to ask if anyone had tried using lemons to deter them and if so does it work?

11. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Im sure I read a thread on here that a very experienced cat owner put kitchen foil down to deter them. Apparently cats hate the feel of this on their paws and it stops them. Maybe a combination of a really good cleaner (from a pet shop) and foil could do it!!

Whether the foil thing is true or not I don't know as I have never had this problem...But it might be worth a try!!:D

12. badbudgie

We had put kitchen foil down behind the TV where she was weeing but she just started doing it in front of the TV.

We have now moved the TV along and put the cat litter box over where she was going after we had cleaned it with special pet cleaner.

This morning, she had a wee in her box, and I told her she was a good girl and gave her treats.

We might have cracked it, unless she has found another spot to go in!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice