Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Panting Like Dog after Da Bird fun!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by tthomson, May 18, 2010.

1. tthomson

tthomson PetForums Junior

Hi Everyone,

Wondered if I could get some quick advice. I've recently bought Da Bird and my cat absolutely LOVES it :D Only thing is after I've been playing with him with it for a while he will suddenly just stop and lay down and pant like a dog with his mouth open. I’m probably being silly as I’d do the same if I’d spent 15 minutes back flipping for a pretend bird :) But was a bit worried because the vet picked up a very slight heart murmur in him a while ago (although the last time we took him he couldn’t hear it so it may have been caused by stress on the day) and I don’t want to over exert him too much!

By the way Hobs & the Twins, thanks so much for your advice on cat food – he’s loving Bozita and I’m sure he’s lost a little weight since we switched him! :thumbup:

2. fifibelle

fifibelle PetForums Senior

Fifi is exactly the same after playing with Da bird, think its because they go so nuts with it, and just get a little out of breath and hot, maybe try cutting down from 15mins to 10 mins and see how he does:thumbup:

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

i agree with Fifibelle - most likely to be just intensive exercise than something more sinister. Millie goes mental with the da bird, jumps a metre or more in the air, chases it this way and that way, and if i do that too long, then yes she will lie down and pant.

So what I have started doing is to let her jump and chase for a bit - let her catch it, and let her enjoy her catch for 30 secs and then when she puts it down I will make it fly again.

But if you are worried then I think it is something that you should pass by the vet next time you are there.

PS: Gosh, that's great news! But my hunch is it is a change in diet as well as more exercise! Well done! :thumbup:

4. tthomson

tthomson PetForums Junior

Thanks Guys,

Was guessing that was the case, being a neurotic mum! hahaha

5. miholove

miholove PetForums Junior

what is da bird? it sounds like a very exciting toy - i will probably get one for my cats!

my cats also pant & lie down rest after playing for long - i never thought it was an odd thing - it was rather cute & funny. :)

6. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

you're welcome - its nice to know its working! :thumbup:

7. miholove

miholove PetForums Junior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice