Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat ownership/legality

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by m1keyth, Apr 6, 2011.

1. m1keyth

m1keyth PetForums Newbie

Hi, new to the forum I hope someone has some advice:
    My wife and I have 3 cats, their original owner lives two doors up but he broke up with his girlfriend and moved out, leaving the cats. Before this they were coming to us on our garden and we grew fond of them. So when he went, not knowing if he was coming back we took them in, that was around September 2009 so as you can imagine we love them to bits they sleep here every night, they are our cats. Toward the end of last year he suddenly re appeared with three more cats, not for long as he hot a new girlfriend and left those 3 to fend for themselves. A kind neighbour has took those 3 in. Anyway he today sent a txt saying he is moving house and intends on taking our 3 cats with him, I said I'll talk to him in person about it, he replied saying he won't be there til Saturday (says it all really) is there anything I can do? I have no intention of letting him take them, but are there any legal issues, does anyone have any advice? Sorry it's a long post.

2. rob158

rob158 PetForums VIP

You could bump him off :cool::

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi.
    Your neighbour doesn't deserve to have any cats by the sound of it :mad: Legally I'm not sure where you stand with cats. Are they micro-chipped? A vet will be able to scan and check for you if you haven't already done so. If they are chipped and in your neighbour's name, then I don't think that there's much you can do :(
    You could charge him for the food, toys, any vet treatments that you have had to pay out for over the past 18months or so. If he doesn't like that idea, then suggest he leaves the cats with you in lieu of payment.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

well if he just left them to go wild and you took them in and care for them feed them and take them to vet
    i would say they are your cats

ask him to cover the costs of you looking after them that should change his mind

and tell him you will report him for leaveing his animals in the first place

5. lymorelynn

Staff Member

A little extreme don't you think :D

6. rob158

rob158 PetForums VIP

I prefer my idea :D

Nope :devil:

7. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Make sure you keep them in away from prying eyes ( upstairs maybe).

Then when he turns up say yes he can take them, but as they are his and not yours could he firstly reimburse you for all the food etc.... you have spent looking after them.

Then say he can take them and just be dismissive and say that they are out there somewhere, they come and go as they please :D:D

Hopefully by the end of this he won't bother and sod off.

#7 Cockerpoo lover, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  8. m1keyth

m1keyth PetForums Newbie

I'll have to see what he has to say Saturday, even if he wants money for them, we don't care as long as we keep them. Thankyou all for the replies I will keep you informed.

I don't think I posted this in the right place, sorry about that.

#8 m1keyth, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

What a cheek asking for the cats back after all this time.

He doesn't deserve to own any animal !!!!

Tell him to get lost & make a invoice out for all he has to pay you back with feeding, vets bills etc etc.

Just keep them indoors until he has gone !

XxX

10. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

basically if hes no proof they are his.... hes no leg to stand on...

if he insists on having them back.. then tell him your going to report him for abandoning them in the first place.

11. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Moved you over to cat chat :)

12. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I wouldn't give him a damned halfpenny...Under the recent act he is liable for abandoning them in the first place.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 (c. 45) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It received Royal Assent on 8 November 2006.

It is the first overhaul of pet law since the Protection of Animals Act 1911, which it largely replaced.[1] It also superseded and consolidated more than 20 other pieces of legislation, such as the Protection of Animals Act 1934 and the Abandonment of Animals Act 1960. The act introduced the new welfare offence. This means that animal owners have a positive duty of care, and outlaws neglecting to provide for their animals' basic needs, such as access to adequate nutrition and veterinary care.[2] It outlaws tail docking of dogs for cosmetic reasons, with an exemption for "working" dogs, like those used by the police, the armed forces or as service dogs.

The corresponding act for Scotland is the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

13. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I Bought them from you don't you remember ! I have them registered in My Name and Coming down with my 4 brothers to pick them up on Saturday. Don't let this man in your house. Give him my number instead. ;)

14. m1keyth

m1keyth PetForums Newbie

Haha I'm scared he's just going to nab them at some point. Thankyou poohdog, that's some great ammo to have. I appreciate all your responses :)

15. rob158

rob158 PetForums VIP

My comment was the most helpfull though was it not :D

16. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

tell him you will bill him for over 2 years worth of boarding, vets and food fees X 3 if he still believes these are his cats !

At kennels/cattery i use thats £5 a night for the first cat then £3.50 each for the other 2 :lol:

17. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

I agree with all the above responses, and the animal welfare act should give you some back up. Don't know if citizens advice would be able to help as well?

I just wonder why on earth this chap has decided after so long that he wants them back? If I understood your original post right, he has abandoned 6 cats and after years suddenly thought he'd get them back? Something doesn't sound right about him!

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I would have them up the vets tonight to be checked over for microchipping.

If they don't have any, get it done there and then which would then register the cats as being yours.

Assuming you have been a responsible slave, if you've had the cats for almost 18 months, then you should have had them at the vets previously for their jabs. This means that, according to the vets records, they are your cats & registered with them in your name.

With this degree of proof, it would then be up to the bloke to prove that they are his cats. That would cost money which I doubt he would be prepared to pay. I think he is trying to pull a fast one on you & I suggest that you totally front him up. I think he will most likely back down.

Also, have a word with your immediate neighbours who know what he has done in the past, advise them of his intentions & get them on your side. The more of you who will stand against him, the stronger your case.

I would also recommend keeping the cats closed up tightly indoors at all times for a couple of weeks or so till everything settles down.

Failing ALL of the above - revert back to Robs suggestion. Take him out!!!! :D

19. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Get the cats scanned for a microchip, if there isn't any, get them chipped ASAP and then they are yours. You can say they're ferals, strays, whatever and you've taken them into your house for the past 18 months and they have been domesticated by you and your family.

If the cats aren't chipped in his name, he has no concrete proof or documentation the cats were ever his. If he physically takes the cats from your property, it's theft and a criminal offence.

20. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Hide them and tell him they died of starvation, you reported them to the SPCA and they are on their way with the police to arrest him. Get a friend to wear khaki trousers and a fishing vest to hang around with a big zoom camera and tell him he is from the media to report on the case of abandonment, animal abuse and cruelty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice