Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat on hunger strike - new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by RebStro, Nov 11, 2019.

1. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Hi,

So I posted in the forum a few days ago, regarding our resident cat losing his appetite for wet food and only eating his biscuits, now he's on complete hunger strike - he'll eat the odd 'treat' but absolutely nothing else. Feeding him the same food as the kitten worked on two occasions, though he only ate a few mouthfuls each time. But, since yesterday, he won't eat. He looks so sad and weak.

We thought everything was improving, he licks the kitten, they play fight, they sleep near and sometimes next to eachother, all that stopped yesterday, Loki is becoming more and more distant with us all.

I'm absolutely terrified what is going to happen. I'm going to take him to the vets - I'm just really worried about him.

Any advice?
    Anything at all would appreciated.

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, sorry to hear this, how old is he? It sounds like he may have some dental problems which are very common in cats. He is probably worrying that the kitten will eat all his food! You need to book him a vet check up asap.

3. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I would definitely take him to vets ASAP. It could well be something totally unrelated to the kitten, some bug or virus that needs treating. You don't want the kitten to catch it. Let us know how he goes on xx

chillminx, Treaclesmum and ewelsh like this.
  4. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your response, I've checked in his mouth - but of course my untrained eye wouldn't be as able to see what a vet could.
    He's four and a half.
    I think it's going to be a vet visit :-(

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Thank you, we're most likely going to take him to the vet. He hasn't even wanted to eat prawns (his favourite treats) I'm worried about the repercussions, even if he is just on strike. Poor puss.

6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Definitely vets ASAP, no " most likely" about it.
    Sounds like there's a medical issue, or some such, and the kitten is just a red herring

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  7. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

I asked for help. I'm pretty much beside myself, passive aggression is not going to help - in fact, it probably puts people off asking for help.

Loki is my priority and though I appreciate the advice, there's a thin line between advising and being pretty mean to somebody who is also feeling very vulnerable, watching their cat being depressed and his health suffering for it.

So thank you for your advise, but not for the insensitivity. Loki was booked in for his appointment long before your comment, my response of "most likely" was one through pain for seeing him the way he is, no matter how much I don't want him to be like this I was never going to sit and let him suffer.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

To be fair no-one has suggested that you were intending to let him suffer, just reinforced the advice to take him to the vet as a matter of urgency. Your reply did suggest that you would most likely, but not definitely, take him to the vet.

NFC slave, chillminx and BarneyBobCat like this.
  9. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Which I certainly understand, and perhaps my lack of sleep and upset are most definitely interfering with how I, myself function. I do appreciate the advice, I just believe if somebody is asking for help - I would be as sensitive as possible.

I apologise for not being as clear in my response. Loki is booked in at the vets this afternoon - my logic in opening this post was mainly to to see if anybody had any other suggestions for me to exhaust without stressing him further with a trip to the vet.

Again to reiterate, I appreciate all advice.
    Loki hasn't ever been poorly before, so this is a first that I'm navigating very blindly and with a lot of worry, apologies for my sensitivity.

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Unfortunately you didn't say that you'd booked a vet appointment; in fact, you sounded quite hesitant and undecided.
    I wouldn't have needed to make my "insensitive" comment if you'd done so

NFC slave, chillminx and BarneyBobCat like this.
  11. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

See my above comment. I'm not arguing and adding that to my stress right now. I hope that you are treat with more sensitivity should you find yourself in situation which you find emotionally exhausting.

I've already thanked everybody, including yourself for your advice. I only noted that I found your comment lacking sensitivity.

12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

@RebStro This is true, we can only know what you tell us , and don't have the benefit of observing facial expression or body language.
    I'm sure you're very anxious,anyone would be. Hoping and praying that whatever is upsetting your poor puss is easily sorted.
    Please update us on the outcome of your vet visit.

13. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

How did Loki get on at the vets? Hopefully they were able to help you. Keep us updated x

14. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

When we got one of our cats Jammy she bought in a bug with her. She actually seemed mostly fine, eating drinking playing etc but our resident cats went downhill. Various symptoms, amongst them a loss of appetite and seeming a bit withdrawn.

So it might be possible this is what has happened on your case. How long has the kitten been with you?

Once you've taken Loki to th vets might be worth just getting the kitten checked over to.

chillminx likes this.
  15. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

An update of sorts - the vet checked Loki over, his weight, abdomen, ears, teeth etc - all okay.

Loki had a fever, he received a penicillin injection and an anti-inflammatory injection also, to hopefully set him right.

The vet gave us some food to hopefully coax him back to eating, along with a syringe should we need to help him.

Last night when we were home his condition seemed to improve within three hours or so, I was able to get him to eat and have a little drink, he seemed far more animated and took himself up to bed when he needed to rest, I checked on him throughout the night and he was stable, just resting heavy.

This morning it seems he has deteriorated again, he just wants to stay still, no interest in food or water, it also feels like his temperature has gone up again.

The vet said to keep an eye on him for the next 24-48hrs. He has absolutely no interest in food, though I've tried to give him some via syringe as per instructions from the vet, but it hasn't perked him up, I also gave him some water via syringe too.

I'm going to see how he goes for the morning but I really think he needs an IV drip of fluids.

He's never been ill and I'm struggling to manage this/to know what's best to do.

Rocco (the kitten) was seen by the vet and he's absolutely fine, no temperature and everything is stable.

I just want my boy to feel better.

R

16. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

It's so worrying when they are ill, I do sympathise. I wonder if he has an infection somewhere. I know oral ABs take a few days to work, not sure about injections. I would monitor him closely then if no improvement back to vets and perhaps a blood panel?

17. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

Yeah, the vet said the next step would be bloods.
    It's just so different - I nurse people, but it's absolutely breaking me to see Loki like this. I don't want to go to work, he's so weak.

18. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would ring the vet to let them know how he is, then if they say he needs to come in urgently in would ring in sick to work. Although it may be that he just feeling nervous due to being around your new kitten. When they feel really nervous and uneasy, they can act very subdued.

19. RebStro

RebStro PetForums Newbie

He's pretty lethargic and unable to move much whether the kitten is around or not - we're convinced Rocco knows Loki is unwell, he keeps checking him and leaving him alone - usually he's running laps around him.

I've made a fluid and food chart with symptoms, I'm doing hourly obs as best I can on a cat and I'm plucking up the courage to ring work and I will ring the vets if there's no change in the next hour - I've monitored him since 7am and his condition has improved slightly but he's still nowhere near his normal functioning - in fact, I've never seen him like this.

20. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Oh, how very worrying for you. Have you updated the vets that he is deteriorating? Has he any interest in tuna in spring water or something smelly like that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice