Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not sleeping after possible RTA.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ChrisK, Jul 6, 2020.

1. ChrisK

ChrisK PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Earlier this morning at around 6am I noticed my cat limping, and 15hrs later he still hasn’t been to sleep.

We spoke to vet at 8:30 (when they opened) and had him viewed by 9am, they said that he had possibly been in an RTA. They gave him a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory, and said to keep an eye on him in case his condition got worse ( as a possible sign of internal injuries).

He has been eating fine but will not sleep, is this normal?

He is an outdoor cat and is eager to get outside (he normally uses an outdoor litter tray), but so far kept him indoors as we think it would be a bad idea to let him outside.

We are first time cat owners, and not sure if we are doing the right thing or being paranoid.

Would welcome some advice on the sleeping issue.
    Thanks
    ChrisK

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

He could be traumatised from the shock, I couldn't sleep after my car went over a rock and the tyre burst recently. I would ring the vet and ask their advice.

ChrisK likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @ChrisK and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear about your cat's injury. Is he still limping?

He probably wants to go out for the toilet. Are you providing him with a couple of indoor open trays? Or can you bring his outdoor tray indoors (if it is portable) ?

It is possible he can't relax because of the steroid he has been given (the anti-inflammatory) . One of my cats was like that when given a steroid after injuring his tail painfully in a fight with my neighbour's cat. I also react badly to steroids myself, with tachycardia, and I become hyper, unable to relax or sleep.

I agree I don't think you should allow him outdoors atm in case he were to suddenly become more ill while out and be unable to get back home. If he is not keen to use his indoor trays can you take a scoop of the litter from his outdoor tray and add to the litter in one of his indoor trays, so the tray has his scent.

I would have a word on the phone with the vet if your cat is still the same in the morning (Tuesday) . Or if you have other concerns.

MaineCoonCats0 and ChrisK like this.
  4. ChrisK

ChrisK PetForums Newbie

Thank you @chillminx ,

I never would of thought that the anti-inflammatory would of been a steroid, let alone be something contributing to him staying awake. In the past 24hrs we think he has had around 2 maybe 3 asleep. As @Treaclesmum mentioned, the shock must also be having an impact as well...although when food comes around you wouldn’t think it.

He is still limping this morning, but seems to be trying to straighten his leg more.

When our vets open up again we will give them a call and see what they say.

Thank you for the supporting and informative words.
    ChrisK

chillminx and Ali71 like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@ChrisK - in fact the anti-inflammatory was probably an NSAID not a steroid. I think maybe he is not sleeping because he may be in pain tbh. I am glad you will be speaking to the vet today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice