Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not pooed for 3 days?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by AnnaMonkey, Jan 2, 2011.

1. AnnaMonkey

AnnaMonkey PetForums Junior

Evening all!

Over christmas my little one got a bit of a bad tummy and had the 'dire rear' for a few days. we took her to the vets who said she couldn't be sure what it was but there didn't appear to be anything in her tummy (ie, she hadn't eaten a load of ribbon) and i don't think she'd eaten anything poisonous. she's been put on antibiotics, something to bind her poo and Hill's prescription food for 5 days but as soon as we started giving her the medicine she hasn't had another poo! today is the 3rd day.
    Also, after we took her to the vet she was on nil by mouth in the evening and the next morning i put down a whole pouch of food without thinking which she then inhaled and promptly threw back up :( so we gave her some plain poached chicken instead and started the pouches again later on.

if nothing happens tomorrow we'll be calling the vet again. she's her normal self personality wise and has a big appetite but she feels a little like a fat sausage if you know what i mean!

anyone know if this is normal with the medicine or can offer any advice? i'm concerned!

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Personally I'd give the vet a quick phone call esp if her tummy's feeling hard...

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Evening AnnaMonkey. Since she had bad diarrhoea (love your dire rear version! lol) it will have emptied her system. So, it is still refilling with new food I should think. Chances are you will have a poop tomorrow or later tonight.

One of my boys recently had an ikky tum and it took him 3 1/2 days to poop again.

If she still hasn't pooped by Tuesday (making it 5 days) then I would phone the vets or would be in touch with them before if she is showing signs of discomfort (such as straining to poop in the tray).

What was the "binder" you got? FortiFlora? Prokolin?

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Apart from the bad tummy episode, if your girl usually has a poo every day, then three days is too long for her not to have had one and I would be calling the vet. The last thing you want is for her to have impacted poo. Constipation can be very painful. It may be due to antibiotics, and your vet should be able to advise on this.

The attached link may be of interest : Constipation in the cat

Good luck. Please let us know what happens :)

5. Tje

Tje Banned

I used to have an IBD cat and he would often fluctuate between bouts of diarrhea and bouts of constipation. My rule of thumb with him was, 2 days without a poop AND coupled with a hard belly, then call the vet.

And yes, some meds do definitely make cats slightly constipated. Same with humans too. Antibiotics always make me either have the runs or not go at all. I think it has something to do with them killing all the gut flora, even the good ones. And probiotics help to counter this, but don’t always completely work.

6. AnnaMonkey

thank you for your replies :)

the extra prescription is for canigest, i'm not sure if that's a probiotic or not? the vet said it was a binder but i read a few thread posts here on something else and then got a bit confused on whether it could be a probiotic too?!

the thing that was throwing me most was that she doesn't seem to be in any kind of discomfort - and she's quite an expessive cat. i'm going to wait til 2mo and see what happens (or doesn't!). her belly isn't so much hard as full? i was also going by humans in that sometimes when you're a bit 'full' you dont want to eat more wheras she's still demanding food!

i'm off to read the constipation in cats guide now thank you!

7. Tje

Tje Banned

yes, that is a probiotic (well I am almost sure it is)

all the best tomorrow

be sure to let us know how you get on

and do not be surprised if you phone at 9am, they tell you to come at 11am, and just as you go to get the carrier at 10.45 am.... missy picks this moment to leave a massive present in her litter tray ;) hehe.

8. AnnaMonkey

Hallo!

Sorry for the delayed update and massive thanks to the replies! :)

yep, just before we got up the next morning we heard the scraping of the litter tray, the mister went to check it out and .... well theres nothing quite like the shouting out of 'WE HAVE POOOOO' to wake you up for the day is there?!

so hurrah!! and thank you again ;)

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice