Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not eating

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alan C Turnbull, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Alan C Turnbull

Alan C Turnbull PetForums Newbie

Hi im new on here. But my cat 5 yrs seems very happy playing purring but just wont eat hasnt for nearly 24 hrs looks to start then walks away. Any ideas?

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Has your cat vomited or drank anything? Is your cat prone to fur balls?

3. Alan C Turnbull

Yes vomited 2 days ago but nothing i know of

4. Alan C Turnbull

He drank yesterday i believe

5. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

One of my cats has strong for association for when he has felt sick/anxious and the only thing I can do is keep trying different foods to tempt him because like your car he would sniff the bowls then walk away.

Once the cycle is broken he tends to be okay. You could try a treat food like pilchards in tomato sauce (they do really small tins) or a bit of poached chicken?

6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

If he doesn't eat soon it'll be an emergency, cats quickly develop serious issues if they fast for more than a day or two. Might be worth ringing the out of hours vet for advice about how long they say he can go without eating or drinking before you need to take him in.

Can you tempt him with treats?
    Warm smelly food? (Microwave his favourite wet food for a few seconds, or cook a little chicken/white fish.)
    Something softer than usual in case he has a pain in his mouth?
    Lick-e-licks on the end of your finger?

I hope he eats something soon... If he nibbles a little now, he can probably wait until your vet opens in the morning.

ewelsh, Douglas’ Dad and chillminx like this.
  7. Alan C Turnbull

Will try thanks

8. Alan C Turnbull

Thanks he has just had a couple of treats so here is hoping

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The main concern is that he will get dehydrated if he doesn't eat. Is he drinking lots of water to compensate for not eating? I wouldn't let him go more than 24 hours without either eating wet food or alternatively drinking lots of water. If he is not doing much of either of those then I would speak to the vet first thing tomorrow.

It is possible he has a dental problem putting him off eating, e.g an infected tooth or gingivitis. Or perhaps he is constipated? That could cause a loss of appetite.

Being unwell or having an infection will affect his sense of smell and as appetite in cats is driven largely by their sense of smell, this could cause him not to want to eat. Try Babyshoes suggestion of strong smelling foods, or food warmed for 5 seconds in the microwave and mixed well to prevent hot spots.

When a cat is off their food, it is best not to offer them their normal foods, as they may associate them with feeling unwell and refuse them for that reason. I have got several of my cats (past and present) to eat again [when they had stopped eating due to feeling unwell] by offering a cheap & cheerful food such as Felix AGAIL, which they never normally get fed.

10. Alan C Turnbull

Hi just got up and has had is normal food hope was just a 24 hr thing will be keeping close tabs on him and hope he doesnt bring back up or will tske to vets thanks for hint on food if not eating

11. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Glad to read your cat has eaten

Alan C Turnbull likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice