Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not eating

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by oracleseer, Mar 20, 2020.

1. oracleseer

oracleseer PetForums Junior

Bungle mormally eats a lot but started eating less and less about three weeks ago, and for the past two weeks has been eating less than a sachet per day. The last few days he's been eating less than a couple of mouthfulls.
    He's lost so much weight and the PDSA found he has a urine infection which they gave him anti-biotics for, but it's the last days of the course and he's not getting any better.
    They did say there may be something else wrong but they needed to clear the infection first.
    I encouraged him to eat yesterday by giving him small amounts regularly but even still he's eaten less than am eight of a sachet.
    Today he's only had a couple of mouthfulls and has started to walk away from food, even going outside as soon as I put ome out for him.
    I will be contacting the PDSA again in the morning, hoping to get a same day appointment but was wondering if anyone might have some helpful tips on what to do for tonight and the weekend if I can't get ana ppointment?

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Poor Bungle! Have you tried strong smelling things like tuna (in spring water) or sardines?
    Sprinkling freeze dried treats over the food?
    Home made chicken broth?

Keeping my fingers crossed you find the reasons for Bungle‘s issues and can resolve them!

3. oracleseer

Than
    Hi, thanks I've tried everything. He won't he even drink anything but finally ate about two mouthfulls5 minutes ago, 5:22 in the morning! At first he would look interested in food but just eat a little but now he's going out the moment I put food in front of him. He's got thin I'm afraid for him. Hope the vets can see him tomorrow, they've got restrictions in place due to corona V. I've noticed that he flinches when I oke around the kidney area, and tends to purr quite pitifully at nights, almost like a cry.

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

This definitely requires an emergency vet visit- corona virus or not!
    Is there only this one vet near you? Is there a vet clinic within reach?
    I think Bungle needs to see a vet as soon as possible!

moomoowawa and chillminx like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@oracleseer

I agree with ChaosCat - your cat needs to be seen by the vet today. Cats often use constant purring to comfort themselves when they are in a lot of pain. Poor boy is probably feeling awful. It may be he needs a different antibiotic. Has a blood test been done?

Many vets have an arrangement now (because of the coronavirus) where you can wait in your car for the appointment. Phone or text Reception when you arrive and they will phone or text you when they are ready for you. This reduces the time you are near other people and avoids having to sit in a waiting room close to other people.

6. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

This is an emergency @oracleseer you need to get your cat to a vet today

7. oracleseer

Thanks everyone, I'm afraid Bungle is no more. He had liver cancer and there was nothing they could do. I thought I was taking him to get better but came back without him. I stayed with him to the end and I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to get well again. I bawled my eyes out and still am.

8. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Oh no! So very sorry for your loss!
    Bungle knew he was loved.

oracleseer likes this.
  9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

oracleseer likes this.
  10. moomoowawa

Oh I am so sorry @oracleseer . At least his pain wasnt prolonged. Bless him.

oracleseer likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear this very sad news @oracleseer .

Thinking of you with much sympathy.

RIP beloved Bungle xx

oracleseer likes this.
  12. oracleseer

Thanks. I hadn't been expecting it, I just choked up when I the vet said he should be put down and I had to go out and think about it. But when I thought of the crying he'd done all night I knew it was best. He was at least 16 years old mind you, so he had a long run. A stray most of his life but he had a happy home for the last year amd a half.

moomoowawa and ChaosCat like this.
  13. oracleseer

Thanks Chillminx. I reminded him this morning how he save my life last October and said I was going to save his now, but never expected this. I tend to have silent strokes in my sleep probably due to sleep apnoea and I woke one day around 11am feeling dreadful and fell asleep again on the sofa. Around 6pm I woke because two of my cats were on top of me, Biscuit was padding her paws up and down frantically on my chest while Bungle was head butting me continually until I woke. As soon as I opened my eyes, they both ran off and slept and as I put my foot to the floor, I realised what had happened.
    Bungle was a very well behaved cat who loved to come for walks with me and listened to everything I said, waiting until told to cross roads etc. He was a real pleasure.

moomoowawa, ChaosCat and chillminx like this.
  14. oracleseer

Thank you.

15. oracleseer

The vet gave me some time with him before the anaesthetic and I cradled him like a baby. His head was tight against my chest and the vet came back and mentioned how loving he looked. He's going to bo sorely missed.

moomoowawa and ChaosCat like this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@oracleseer - aww he sounds like a really lovely cat, bless him. x What a joy it must have been to share your life with him. x :)

oracleseer likes this.
  17. oracleseer

The funny thing about Bungle is that he was a stray most of his life. One day I went to a place where my other cat hangs out and clapped my hands as usual to call him. Suddenly this big beautiful cat came running from all the way down the road and sat next to me. He followed me back to where I feed Baby (one of my other cats), then waited for me every night after that. Many people fed him but he would always wait for me.
    I found a new home for him three times and each time he escaped and made his way back to me. In the end I had no choice but to keep him!
    He was the easiest of my cats to take for walks because he was steady, he would plod along behind me, stop and sit when I stopped, wait when I told him, while crossing roads. My other two who I got at 3 months (though I gave one to a neighbour and took her back when he died) are playful, they know all the rules about gateways when there's danger and crossing roads, and they know how how to have fun as we go for walks. It often means I have to guess where they're hiding or wait for them to ambush me, but Bungle was just steady!
    He got a lot of attention and was photographed by so many.
    I never saw an elderly cat attach itself to me so much as he did, and part of me feels that I let him down.
    I had no idea when I left this morning that I would be facing a decision to end his life and I could not stop crying. The vet was really good and let me think about it, then let me spend time with him and asked if I wanted o be there at the end.
    At first I just wanted to be there for the anaesthtic because she warned me there could be some uncomfortable scenes, but at the last minute I asked her to just go ahead.
    We stared right into each others eyes for the entire 15 minutes or so that it took for the anaesthetis to work then the final injection. I knew it was best but that didn't make it easier. I think he always knew he wasn't going to make it, but I had no idea. They told me on the phone it might be a blockage, but it wasn't.
    So sad, really so sad. It was only 4 weeks ago when he last came for a walk with me, such a rapid decline.

RIP Bungle, Loved you lots!

chillminx, moomoowawa and ChaosCat like this.
  18. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

He was a very special boy! And he made such a wise choice in sticking to you.
    Letting him go was the last act of love you were able to do for him and it is good he fell asleep in your arms feeling all your love.
    RIP little Bungle!

oracleseer likes this.
  19. moomoowawa

Is that him in your photo? He came into your life and kept coming back it sounds like! Maybe he felt he was getting older, and maybe he instinctively knew he could rely on you to care for him in his more vulnerable age. You put him out of his misery at the right time, and although it was a massive shock for you, at least because you weren't expecting it, it meant you didnt have the sinking feeling in your last days with him. And he drifted away tucked into you. He sounds like a special little guy. Goodbye, Bungle. Thank you @oracleseer for being so caring.

oracleseer likes this.
  20. oracleseer

Yes, that's Bungle in the pic. Here's a little video of him walking with me, it was only a short one and not very good but it does show how easy it was to walk him anywhere! I feel a bit better today but it really is such a loss. Thanks,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice