Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not eating - Thyroid pills

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sophie_xxx, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Hi all,

My 14 year old cat Tabitha was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She was constantly hungry but losing weight. Her blood tests showed her levels were only slightly above the normal level - we discussed treatment and it has been decided that she will have the thyroid gland removed in the new year. In the meantime, our vet wants to keep an eye on her kidneys before she undergoes the operation, so he has put her on thyroid tablets - 1 a day. I'm sorry for the lack of info but I can't remember what tablets they are and it doesn't say on the bottle!

All was fine up until a few days ago, she has almost completely gone off her food. She has been on the tablets for about 5 weeks now and I think it may be these causing the problem. Usually she would demolish anything put in front of her but now she has no interest. I managed to get her to eat a little bit of raw mince yesterday and a bit of a seafood stick but today she doesn't want to know at all. I am taking her to the vets tomorrow first thing but I am so worried! :( You can see in her eyes that something isn't right. She is still affectionate and still plays a little but she looks so tired.

I think maybe she is on a too high dose of the tablets. Is this a normal thing to happen?

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

It's normal to stabilise the thyroid levels before surgery.

If it's one a day it's probably Vidalta - the lowest dose is 10mg which is too high really to treat a midly elevated thyroid level. A low-dose start with gradual increases is the best medicating regime in order to give the organs ( esp the kidneys) time to adjust to the decreased metabolic rate. At this point it's possible she may even be hypothyroid-hence the symptoms. Any increased drinking or urinating? I'm sure the vet will test the thyroid levels tomorrow and perhaps a change of medication (Felimazole) would help.

3. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

4. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Thank you for the replies. Would this overdose of meds have caused any major damage? Will her appetite return once she stops the tablets? I havnt given her one this evening.

I'm worried if she doesn't start eating soon she will get weaker and weaker and won't recover from this. My poor girl, I've had since she was 8 weeks old - hate seeing her like this!

5. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

Loss of appetite is one of the symptoms of going hypo, though it could also just be a possible side effect of the medication itself.

Do her ears and paw pads feel cool to the touch, and is she sleeping all the time? When my cat went hypo for a few days he slept on the sofa without moving for a solid 12 hours.

If I remember correctly, you stop the medication for 5 days to allow the thyroid hormone to rise, then start again on the proper 1.25mg twice a day.

You can't allow her not to eat. Please look into syringe feeding, as you must get calories into her. My cat hasn't eaten for months now, and I assist feed him raw food with my finger pushing it into the side of this mouth, so he has to eat it. It mainly started when he began thyroid pills too. He just had a bilateral thyroidectomy on Monday, so hopefully things will improve.

For assist feeding you'll need to buy a few Mikki Handi Feeder syringes. Mikki Handi Feeder 6211116 Other Small Animal Health Products for Sale get the tapered one and cut the tip shorter, so the food doesn't squirt out with such force, and use a nail file to smooth the edges. Look at getting some smooth pate food like Miamor Pâté 12 x 85 g: Great Deals on Miamor Cat Food at zooplus or Free Delivery on orders £19 or more at zooplus!: Gourmet Gold Pâté Recipes 12 x 85g. Push it through a small tea sieve with the back of a spoon into a small container. Warm the food to make it runnier and with handle of a teaspoon push it through the syringe. You'll need to bang the syringe on the counter after each spoonful put in to make sure the food goes down properly and eliminates most of the air bubbles. When feeding aim the tip into the side of the cheek not down the center of her throat, or she will gag. There are some good youtube videos on assist feeding, Miss Toady is one. Wipe the tip of the syringe after each attempt, so your cat's mouth stays cleaner. The food can get everywhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice