Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat not eating/drinking since 8/30, at ER vet since 9/2 - please help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kittydecides, Sep 4, 2018.

1. kittydecides

kittydecides PetForums Newbie

My cat, Nagini, has been sick since last Wednesday night, and the vets have no idea what's wrong, and my wife and I are just at our wit's end hoping and pleading she's okay.

tl;dr -- Nagini is 11, otherwise been healthy, stopped eating and drinking Thursday 8/30 and making nonstop gagging sounds, licking her lips until she has a raw spot. Bloodwork came back fine (elevated glucose, Coronavirus antibodies but vet wasn't too concerned). Prescribed antibiotics, antihistamine, and L-Lysine but couldn't get Nagini to eat so couldn't administer. Force-fed her water and little bits of food but by Sunday she still hadn't eaten or drank on her own and she was wheezing when she breathed a lot, still gagging/licking, so took her to emergency. They did x-rays, ultrasound, endoscopy, bloodwork, and put her on IVs and a nasal feeding tube. Had some difficulty breathing/raspy breathing Monday night so they put her on steroids and added antibiotics to try and weed out illness. STILL don't know what's wrong. x.x;;;;

The long story with more details:

Nagini is 11 years old, has been otherwise healthy until now. About 4 weeks ago, she and our other cat (male, also 11) stopped eating randomly and she had one bout of explosive vomiting. We took them to the vet, but she got better a day or so later after we gave her some 1-ingredient baby food (Beech Nut, chicken) and then slowly added her old food back in (1 can Fancy Feast per day + 1/2 can of Whole Earth Farms per day). She's been fine since, eating normally, using the litter box, playing.

Need to also mention we brought a foster kitten into the household about 4 weeks ago. It was the same day that Nagini had explosive vomiting, but she had done that before we brought the kitten home, so I doubt it's related.

Last Wednesday, Nagini didn't finish her dinner, which is odd for her bc she has a VERY healthy appetite normally. She started making these weird little gagging sounds and I was concerned but figured she just had a hairball. On Thursday, she refused breakfast, continuing to make gagging sounds also making this really awful LOUD cough/gag sound that freaked me out (sounded like a hack to get something out of her throat but also kind of like something falling on the hard floor). I took her to the vet that day. Lungs and heart were fine when they listened to them, xray didn't show anything worrisome (no blockage or anything like that) except a lot of gas, bloodwork came back well (high glucose, antibodies for Coronavirus but we are pretty sure we got her vaccinated so we were thinking maybe that's why and the vet also said that's not indicative of her having it), so they figured it might be a Upper Respiratory Infection. They prescribed antibiotics, antihistamine, and L-Lysine. She still wasn't eating, so getting the meds to her was impossible. Managed to give her a couple doses of the antibiotics and crushed up the antihistamine and forced it to her in water. :(

On Friday, I fed her via spoonful about 2-3 tablespoons of Rad Cat raw food, because I knew she loved it and wanted to stimulate her appetite. She tolerated that but after the 2nd spoonful, she started to gag and hid under the bed. Forced about 2 ounces of water into her throughout the day. She had normal pees and 1 normal poop.

On Saturday, she ate maybe 20 tiny little kitty food treats (Party Mix) and drank some water on her own (we think, couldn't be 100% sure). I again forced her to drink a little water, tried tuna juice, tried goat's milk. Nothing. She saw a silverfish in our hallway and hunted/played with him for a bit, so we thought maybe she was feeling better but still no eating or drinking and continued gagging/wanting to hide under the bed.

Sunday, I finally broke down and took her to the emergency care. :( He was worried right away when we mentioned how little she'd eaten and drank and asked to keep her at least overnight. They ran more blood tests, did xrays and ultrasound. They saw something weird in the ultrasound in her throat somewhere so asked if they could do an endoscopy to check it out. We agreed. Nothing found there either. They did see some lesions on the back of her throat which they couldn't explain or figure out. After the endoscopy, they also put in a nasal feeding tube and hooked her up to IVs.

she's breathing much better this morning, still fine with the tube in her nose, but she is still refusing to eat.

the vet said at this point there are 2 different routes he'd recommend

1) put her under to do a throat biopsy and get a better look and put in an esophageal feeding tube.

We could potentially then take her home. She can eat around the tube so we could try feeding her as we normally would as well as feeding through the tube if she refuses. The tube has to stay in for 10 days, but it can then be removed if she's eating well again and the wound closes up on its own within 10-14 days after that. We'd get biopsy results in about 48 hours.

2) we stay the course and see if the meds help and if she starts eating again on her own. We can't take her home with this option tho.

I feel like we need to stay the course for at least another day and see if the meds help and if maybe she starts trying to eat again and then revisit the other option. But I'm at such a loss as to what to do right now. I really REALLY don't want to put the e-tube in. It actually terrifies me, not just because we'd have to maintain it and I don't want to mess up but that means she has to go under anesthesia again and I know that can't be helping.

Do you know what else this could/might be? Any similar situations? :(

KoolK likes this.
  2. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

It took me a while to read all of that... I am ever so sorry for what you're going through :(
    I don't personally have any experience with this so I do hope someone else can come along and help...

But I do wish you the very best of luck and hope your furbaby gets better soon! :)

TriTri likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Poor Nagini has been through an awful lot. Does she go outside and eat grass? As I was reading your thread my first thought was whether she had got some grass stuck up her nasal passages and in her throat, and this might explain lesions on her throat. I'm not sure from all she's had done whether they washed out her nasal passages. It might take a while for her to be comfortable with eating again after all this. If she doesn't want to eat, would she drink a liquid food? I don't know what is the best course of action. It. could be whatever the orignal problem, its righted itself but she is traumatised by all the recent events, especially as you say her breathing is better and she needs rest to enable her to relax and start eating but I can't say for certain.. I wonder if a second opinion before you decide might be worth exploring. I hope whatever you decide, she will soon be feeling better.

stockwellcat., TriTri and KoolK like this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Your poor cat and poor you. I was thinking the same as @Charity. My mum’s had her cat 10 years, he’s 23 next month and he’s had to be operated on about 8 times now, to remove course grass from his nasal passageway or the back of his throat. The grass is so course that it struggles to move upwards or downwards and poor Bernie stops eating and makes horrendous noises and wretches almost constantly. Fortunately he’s been ok for the last year or so. I’m no vet but the lesions to the back of your cats throat seems like some clue. I’d keep offering liquid food like tuna spring water, though I know you’ve tried that, but I’ve seen it get a few non eating cats, eating again, including one of my own cats, which didn’t eat for 5 days due to a virus. Maybe a longer discussion with your vet is needed to make a decision? Also my ibd cat (also had pancreatitis) would go off her food, after episodes of vomiting. Sounds like it’s just too sore to swallow or needs to shift something first?

stockwellcat. and Charity like this.
  5. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

My cat stopped eating all of a sudden once and had explosive diarhorrea and vommiting and was taken into the emergency vets and put on a drip. They tested her for alot of things including pancreatitis, after days of not eating there the vet talked about putting a feeding tube in. I asked if I could try and feed her back at home to see if that would help as her stress levels where increasing being in an unfamiliar environment at the vets and she was going for the nurses and vet treating her. I used fortiflora (probiotic) to entice her to eat again and very slowly she started eating off my finger at first and then my hand, it took a few days before she ate a full meal again. She was discharged with 4 different types of medication as well which was a nightmare trying to administer and not stress her out at the same time.

Try offering small amount of food on the end of your finger your cat might lick the food off your finger. That might work.

I don't really know what else to suggest but wanted to share my experience and send you my best wishes and I hope they find out what the problem is and your cat starts eating again soon?

#5 stockwellcat., Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    TriTri likes this.
  6. Marguerite Abbott

Marguerite Abbott PetForums Newbie

7. Marguerite Abbott

Marguerite Abbott PetForums Newbie

So sorry to hear about your cats problems 12 years ago we bought 2 rescue Persians one died in January 2005 and the other one was not well over Christmas 2006 she could not eat and she kept gagging after a couple of days I took her to our vet who did an Endoscopy and found she had cancer of the Larynx he phoned with the results and asked for permission to PTS he said he was not sure if he could bring her back round but if he did she would not live long the very most being a week so I had to let her go I do hope this is not the case with your cat

KoolK likes this.
  8. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

Hi firstly I had my first cat until she was 19 from 5 weeks old dumped in a bin bag outside cats protection which was a cold wet cabin with no windows under a railway line. She needed feeding with a ear dropper so they let me take her as they had nowhere for her back in 1984. My next cat took 2 yrs get and I still have her she’s 13.5. I also had cat run over twice in 10 months at 2 separate addresses costing me 16k only 4K insured. Rest I had pay off in instalments. When I got new cats and new dog my cats reacted. Alpoceia my first cat reacted to being bullied outside by neighbourhood cats and was undiagnosed for approx a year with every test going and she was out in Valium also known as diazepam. That calmed her down and her fur grew back. She also was scared of domestic violence by my husband on me. I used to hide her to keep her safe. Plus we moved 300 miles and had make total of 13 moves before she was 19.

Re your cat that reacted so ill and then you got another cat same day. I think it’s linked. I think maybe she ate off food initially or was sickly for something she ate and then that puts them off eating for a while as I’ve had it recently a few times with my youngest cat whose a feral 3 yr old came straight from under a shed and was vicious. I’m an experienced feral owner after having my first one that terrorised the nursery at cats pro and was the one run over twice who was a baby and was far from feral after some patient training and loving. Cats when Ill remember and they don’t want eat then on top of upset tummy you’ve introduced them to an horrendous ordeal that takes my 13 yr old months to get over and put her off food and hiding hissing and very distressed. Stress comes out in all forms and your cat was already ill on the day. Some may say she had sixth sense but I’d say she ate something. Then you stressed her out whilst ill which she didn’t need.

The other kitten/cat maybe delaying her getting better.

An experiment would have been to have had someone look after the other cat for few days to see how your ill cat acts.

Should always try to start from scratch again instead of forcing treats and favourite foods which I think was in my opinion stupid and foolish.
    An upset tummy needed chicken and rice diet and everyone knows that. Any cat will eat boiled or roasted chicken without the fat or skin as you don’t want to add grease. You don’t give an ill none eating gagging cat tuna drinks star mix treats etc as these are sickly things. My cats have finest tinned tuna in spring water everyday but if it goes off in the heat it can cause blood vomited which you can only barely see on wood floors and dehydration. Also if they’re not drinking enough they also wee blood but it’s invisible in cat litter unless clots or in pooh. Vets will tell you it’s always in wee and you can’t see it. Mine are indoor cats. If yours outdoors then whilst Ill nobody should be letting their cats out. Worse thing anyone can do. Also if your having extreme heat your cat could had sunstroke etc a things incfood off you need remember. Treats favourite foods were stupidity.

Chicken boiled in small tiny pieces little and often with clean hands and stored in container in fridge and not kept more than few days. That should be kept up for at least 14 days even if she is better. Digestive paste from vet should be given for putting in food and from what you said she won’t take it like my cat so I put it round her mouth so she had kick it off so she had no choice. It worked. When a cats not been a vet 13 yrs they not Co operative. You have improvise after few days. Even using ear dropper feed water into her or syringe by wrapping her in towel so paws are in and getting someone help you. Hydrate is more important than food along with calm reassurance and perseverance and maintaining as little stress as possible. The new cat was not your priority on that day. I’m far from heartless as I couldn’t have got rid of a cat I’d got and I’ve no family or anyone help as they’re all dead. I’ve 11 homeless cats outside I’m looking after plus 5 foxes 3 cubs and 4 hedgehogs. I’ve rehomed 22 cats had 42 removed by rspca from an irresponsible woman neighbour who doesn’t cross breed she force breeds pure bred father daughter for pure white and throws out the rest inc any deformed in river next to house. Rspca didn’t ban her which they should have and her little operation was carrying in when they removed them despite 11 cats killed on main road cut in half by buses and cars hit both ways and dying in my arms in front of the woman phoning people for money. Then left them at mine dead which at that time I packed them in ice snow to preserve for 5 days until I forced her collect one of them after I paid his cremation. Turns out so did 3 others.

I think you should ask the vet to let you try take the cat home for 24 hours if they have no idea what’s wrong at the moment. If they have a good idea then leave her with surgery but if they’re operating in guesses it’s unfair on the cat if you can at least try see if it’s stress related and they can give her a sedative first and maybe pain relief if they think she’s in pain by injection as she’s not going to take tablets and make it clear as vet not listened to me last 18 months on dogs and I got fed up wasting money and told him straight. Ask for the Id digestive paste also for her tummy that you just smear around her lips. Then just hydrate and slowly introduce well boiled chicken boiled at least an hour for 2 small fillets. Then feed your cat water with a ear dropper for water or syringe and keep the cat with a cat tray in a very dark quite room with 1 of you either in a lot of the time Very quiet and constantly reassuring and talking to her but not letting and dragging her out if she’s retreated and if you can remove your other cat to family or friends for few days until you got to bottom of this illness that would be the most telling feature for you and if you have people or kids in and out I would suggest they stay away from the cat and that just the 2 grown ups take it in turn and the rest of people in the house are told or made understand the cat needs quiet and calm. You’ve nothing to lose on 24 hours. Unless your cat is too i to be moved. Discuss with the vet. If you can arrange a quiet envireoment with a darkened quiet room for the first 24 hours and not in your cats face playing it with everything and grabbing man ha sling it then you may just get to the bottom of it without a nasty bill. It maybe it’s a very serious illness but my thoughts are this is your cat poorly with what it ate then stressed out then whilst it’s timmy still upset you gave it what you know it would eat rich treats and stupid food which you don’t do on top of stress out poorly cat.

You need learn basics of pulling back stripping back and nurturing.
    Never give treats to a cat that’s just been ill with bad stomach or sick or even its normal food.
    Always use chicken or if no chicken there and then just use dry food until you can get chicken but I don’t mean days and hydrate your cat with water by any means that’s with your hand fingers tea spoon ear dropper (washed rinsed properly) syringe not needle more medicine plunger one.
    If you was in hospital for food poisoning (severe tummy upset or dehydrated you’d be on saline (salt sugar water solution which you shouldn’t do for your cat unless you know what your doing. Just water is fine if you don’t. That’s for everyone

9. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

I don’t think her cats got cancer if the larynx since her cat was sick after eating something then was in a stressful situ with another cat bought into the house then fed all the wrong foods on top of an upset stomach and the vets already done tests and looked at its throat and nothings there. This is a stupid owner acting stupid. Sometimes they don’t know how to go back to the starting point of the illness and eliminate everything and use well known delicate food for delicate tummy. Some people are just plain stupid using treats rich foods tuna rich again and the other food she said. How ridiculous is this owner. Why didn’t the vet give them a roasting. Or a least educate them or did the vet just think they’d be wasting their time or did they leave out telling the vet what they did

10. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

Also why don’t people use YouTube and google such simple tools to just educate themselves and even vet websites for advice plus they can get advice from vet nurses free. It doesn’t make sense to pay out thousands without at least doing the necessary like, starving the cat of any food in first 24 hours in case it’s something it ate, removing any added stress and hydrating the cat. Just basics every owner should know. Plus chicken is a staple diet every owner should know to use when any cat or dog has been or is recovering from an stomach or digestive illness or sickness or intolerance to food. Some dogs cannot ever eat normal food ever again from a person buying a pup and taking it home and it nearly dying having been given normal food. I know I bought from a reputable store Kc reg not an owner. There’s so many puppy farmed dogs that are now born with total intolerance to any foods treats anything and have to live a life on chicken or turkey with rice from it coming out of hospital if it survived which mine was lucky to after 4 weeks in intensive care just 24 hours after taking him home in 2004 when hardly heard of.

11. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

That’s why I suggested they put her in a quiet darkened (small lamp on (not pitch black) curtains open a bit during day etc so she can see out a bit if she wants to but not enough open that she’s frightened and so she has somewhere retreat like under the bed without anyone dragging her out, instead try coax her out unless absolutely necessary but ensure she’s hydrated. Missing food isn’t important for few days. She will eat if she’s hungry. It’s the water she needs and plenty of it. But try not make it an ordeal for her. I think removing the other cat for a while is the best option and will tell you a lot and if she recovers and it happens again then you have to think about this cat who at 11 can’t take the stress of another cat. Owners don’t think. My 19 yr old couldn’t live with other cats. My 13 yr old has grown up with other cats. I really think your cat is reacting badly after a tummy upset to stress and stress can make an animal physically ill just as much as a human if my cat could have alopecia for 2 yrs nearly before all her fur returned to normal over a cat outside bullying her when she only went out for a wee etc then just goes show what stress can do. My cat never went out in 19 yrs after that cat terrorised her for more than few mins do her business.

I wish you well with your cat but if you really love your 11 yr old cat then you must put that cat first and go back to the start and the start must be starving hydrating reducing all stress funding a safe place removing the other cat and trying boiled chicken for food after she’s settled down first 12-24 hours and you’ve WON her TRUST again.

12. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

That’s because cats have septum deviations which is deformed nasal passages 4 of them. My 2 dogs long haired chihuahuas have it which is rare along with collapsed trachaes 60% bigger brain and skull one side on 1 dog and his brother born with inky 1 lung plus the one with bigger skull brain has a tumour. They’re not operable as they struggle breathe and have too much wrong and on medication daily for life. The insurance quit on them 8 weeks ago after 18,000 paid out since I got them May last year.

13. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

I don’t know why someone keeps repeating and quoting what I’ve said. Honesty best policy.

I found your story heartbreaking marguerite.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure how you can say this cat hasn't got cancer without even seeing her ? Even a vet won't diagnose over the internet.
    It's also uncalled for to refer to the owner and her actions as stupid. If you wish to offer advice please phrase it more politely and constructively.

Torin., lorilu and KoolK like this.
  15. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

Sure I will. But in Uk we have freedom of speech so please remember that. Her actions were what I referred to as stupid not anything other in what she fed a poorly cat and subjected it to another cat on top. Any vet or cat protection officer which I am with 10,000 cats under me would have told her the same. That’s why I’m sure she didn’t tell the vet. I stand by what I said. I didn’t diagnose. I said she should have starved the cat for 24 hours and hydrated the cat, removed it from the stress to a quiet room. They are factual points of what you actually do first what a vet recommends you to do and what we advise in the first 48 hours. The proof of all the tests clear and the fact the cat picked up on numerous occasions shows their is something more going on and feeding rich foods would have delayed the progress and also another cat being in the house the day the 11 yr old who is still a middle aged or if thoroughbred cat it’s classed as an old cat. Thoroughbreds don’t live nowhere near as long. Why insurance starts doubling from 9 if you already got insurance. Some won’t insure from 7-8 in Uk. Can’t insure from 9 at all in Uk people can express their opinions. People have the right to criticise another’s actions. If it was in news my words would be nothing in comparison. I’ve played many texts inc wishing the people well and offering advice to put the cat in a quiet room and put the other cat staying maybe with friends or family to see how their 11 yr old is. Im not a vet but I come from a background of Drs nurses within the whole family and whom all have died of gene cancers and secondary and multiple cancers from the original 2 genes. Since my family have all died between 23-42 yrs old I’m the only survivor of gene cancer twice at 22 and 26. So I know quite a bit medically. Since I also have had cats run over and my mums with cancer and I work with cats that have all types of illnesses and just lost a cat to liver cancer and another last year to renal failure I feel I have experience. I also have 2 poorly dogs as I esaud. So for those who like to moderate maybe you should read all my posts on here and on other sites where I was also offering support to others without any comments with stupid made in them as most people aren’t. Thank you

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

'Freedom of speech ' does not mean you can call other forum members stupid !

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
    Please note the terms and conditons you have agreed to.

StormyThai, Torin., lorilu and 5 others like this.
  17. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

When I say other sites I mean categories on here. I see a vet most days and he’s also a personal friend of mine. Platonic. He gets frustrated by people’s actions of not using common sense as not all vets are wanting to make money and see an animal suffer. The. Ahority do make large profit but he does care about every animal under his care as if they were his own and he’s unlike any vet any of his clients have ever known and they review him as. Also just to add I nursed all my family at their home or mine inc6 immediate family between 18-19 yrs old inc my own baby who died and my first husband had already died sudden death. I nursed the last 4 my sisters brother and dad in 2010 in 7 months alone 250 miles away whilst my second husband couldn’t come help or stay as he had just taken position as biggest gsm in Uk. My second husband died sudden death pulmonary embolism 7 weeks after last funeral which was my dads which was Oct 2010. Xmas my husband was dead after 80 hr week and 4 weeks after banging his leg at work. I knew it was a clot he had diff Drs to me and said he had been. He hadn’t

I offered the people on here constructive advice as they asked about bringing their cat home. I answered it. Constructively eliminating all things taking the cat back to the start. That’s what you do. Whilst you may be a moderator don’t try tell me my job and that which I do and Work along side vets daily and had already been a veterinary nurse earlier in my career. If someone asks for advice I’ll give it. I came across the site somehow today and I don’t do social media and don’t know how I stumbled across it. I don’t really care. I’ve helped a few people in the forums and I couldn’t give a monkeys what anyone thinks of someone speaking bluntly as I’m not a person who back stabs back chats and dances around words that need be said in fear of someone may say your not allowed say them. Here in Uk we have a democracy to which we are accustomed and that is freedom of speech. Since America likes to use guns for theirs I hardly think words are hurting and calling ones actions as stupid is hurting someone. It’s nust plain truthful. Or should I have used the word idiocracy and they may not have known what it meant.

18. Shopgirl67

Shopgirl67 Banned

Yes and I haven’t. Read the terms of the words and their meanings. Describing ones actions when asked for advice and what they wrote is not a hateful demoralising or any other type. It’s a factual opinion of what course of action they took. Now I didn’t call them it. I called their actions so please be careful susie rainbow as your getting above your head here as I know what I wrote and their actions were and as a qualified person in that field I’m am allowed to state such.

19. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

You are just plain rude!

When you become a member to a site like this you agree to certain rules like @lymorelynn said.

If you want to be blunt and say as you wish without thinking twice about what effect it has on others then you need to go elsewhere!

I can't believe you! :mad:
    Try being informed instead of being opinionated.

I too believe in freedom of speech but some people need to know when to stop talking. ;)

SuboJvR and LJC675 like this.
  20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I am not arguing any further with you , you are being rude and if you continue will be banned.
    This is a warning.

Torin., lorilu, KoolK and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice