Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat not eating, acting fine?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cgoodchild92, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Cgoodchild92

Cgoodchild92 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a female cat around a year and a half who weighs 4.5kg.

Recently (last few days) she hasn't been eating and after trying all her favourite food including cooked chicken she still won't eat. Strange thing is that's she's meowing at me whilst I'm preparing the food nearly climbing my leg to get it. Then she walks over sniffs it and walks away. I haven't changed her food apart from getting some 7+ food by mistake, but she ate that fine.

Have been to the vets who mentioned that this was strange as she seems to be her normal self and that he wanted to run some tests.

Just wonder if anyone else has had the same sort of thing and any help would be appreciated.

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

My girl is like this in hot weather. She will come round every mealtime meowing then when the food's put down she has about one mouthful and disappears. Always wise to get it checked out though if you're not sure what's causing it.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It may be she doesn't feel 100% well and her sense of smell is affected. A reduced sense of smell could cause her not to recognise the odour of her usuaI foods.

You could try waming her food a bit (e.g. 10 seconds in the microwave, and then mixed well to get rid of hot spots). Or try her with some strong smelling food that she doesn't normally have e.g. mashed sardines in spring water or a little pilchards in tomato sauce (not much as it contains salt). The new food may kick start her appetite.

If she is not eating ensure she is getting enough fluids so as to prevent her becoming dehydrated. Goats milk is liked by some cats. Or home made chicken broth (using drum sticks).

maisiecat likes this.
  4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Mine also eats less in the hot or humid weather, she doesn't eat well anyway but does like to be hand fed having learned over the years that when she is off her food she gets spoiled more than usual and has learned to pat my arm or chest to get fed.

Sometimes they just fancy a change of food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice