Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat not calling

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sharon_gurney, Apr 5, 2011.

1. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Last year Vogue had her 1st litter of kittens, we had no problems mum and kittens did great. I was hoping for another litter this year but so far she hasnt really started calling

I bought a young male a few months back hes just over 9 months old. (To replace my friends older male in a year or so)

He lives in my home with Vogue. He has tried to mate but alas what he lacks in experience he make up for in enthusisim:eek:

My concerns are not that they havnt produced anything as im in no rush and he is still a baby really, but apart from a brief call in January Vogue is showing no signs of coming back into call.

Any ideas, Could it be due due to having the male in the house?

#1 sharon_gurney, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

When did Vogue have her litter? My girl had a litter last October and apart from calling briefly the day after they left in January, she hasn't come back into season. This was her second litter and it took around 7 months to come back into call after the first litter too.
    I would have thought that having your new boy in the house would have brought her into call rather than the opposite

3. sharon_gurney

her last litter was March last year

4. lymorelynn

Staff Member

That is a long time. Have you taken her for a check up?

5. sharon_gurney

She was seen my the vet after the kittens and at her vaccinations last year. She was given a clean bill of health.

She called briefly in Jan that when Rex tried doing his bit bless him.

but nothing since, he follows her around sniffing at her bits and I keep thinking that she will come into call, She not interested in him and bats him off when he gets the notion of nookie

6. tellingtails

tellingtails PetForums VIP

Hi Sharon,

This has happened to me, one of my Girls Anastacia, Called her head of Screamed in fact for her first litter, she had a good litter of five beautiful Siamese Kitties.

Then for some strange reason she stopped calling, I mean she went from being quite a vocal Madame, to nothing her Meow is hardly heard now, nothing wrong in herself, her vocals are Ok she will Meow for food but communicating with studs nothing.

I thought for months she had not been in season, had the Vet give her a couple of once overs, but alas nothing wrong.

Then one day I was cleaning her Cattery and I just happened to stroke her, up came her back end and she was paddling, I put her in with Our Stud Sully and he was on her straight away, she has just Given birth to her second litter.

Mum and Kitties are all doing well, a litter of 4 all good weights and fantastic colours, I mentioned it to the Vet at Mums check up after birth and he has said he has heard of simalar experiences were Queens for some reason become silent callers.

Just keep an eye out for the other signs, of her coming into season incase she has become a silent caller.:)It might have gone un noticed if your fella was a little young

#6 tellingtails, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi Sharon

I'm having the exact same problem! My girl's last call was just a few days before christmas, and since then, nothing. She's been to the vets for check ups, but she's happy and healthy. I don't even have the excuse of her having a litter. Hope both of our girls get it together soon!

8. sharon_gurney

Just an update

Think she may have become a silent caller, not sure if this is a good or bad thing :confused:

Im sat in work and just had a text from the kids at home it read....The cats are having sex and she isnt fighting him off

My 10 month old very inexperienced boy started to show interest a couple of days ago whilst outside in their run (the sun must do wonders for the libido:D)
    she has been showing absoultely no interest even up until lunch time when I left for work.

9. sharon_gurney

yet another update....

Did I say silent?..........erm not any more:eek:

10. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Hooray!!!:D want to borrow some earplugs :lol:

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lol! My girl was silent, we had to watch out for every roll and every slight move! :laugh: she isnt silent anymore! :cryin:

12. sharon_gurney

oh boy, having a good strong call now. she even flirting to the husband ;)

Wow soooo demanding poor Rex has run out of steam

13. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Tart :lol: Your poor boy :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice