Cat non stop crying in the morning

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Deborah Martin, May 16, 2018 at 6:54 AM.

1. Deborah Martin

Deborah Martin PetForums Newbie

My cat is nearly 9 months old and since I've started taking him out on harness in the back garden he has became a nightmare, he will start crying from 5.30 til about 7 in the morning, I've tried ignoring him completely, feeding him etc but nothing is working. Is he too young to go out himself, think he is getting frustrated as he is literally climbing the walls...

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Is he neutered? If he isn’t that will help the urge to go out.
    I would only take him out on the harness at the same time(s) everyday, so he gets used to the routine and knows he only goes out then.

3. Deborah Martin

Yep he's neutered, I usually do take him out at the same time but he's getting more frustrated, back and forward at the is window all the time...is 10 months to young to let them out themselves?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Are you in an area which is safe for pet cats? Were you already planning to give him his freedom at some stage?

I have never let my own cats out before 1 year old, and they were always fine indoors up until then, but mine had never been outside on harness. I think your little guy has got a real taste for the outdoors now. Is it possible for you to take him outdoors on harness a couple of times a day in this current good weather, and see if that will satisfy him for a month or so?

If he then still keeps demanding more time outdoors I would probably decide to let him out. But first of all train him well in recall in the house, so you can trust him to be obedient.

Once he is out I would call him back every half hour or so for the first day. I would not let him disappear for hours at a time ever, i.e. I would go searching for him if he did not come back within 15 minutes when called.

I have had one or two wilful cats over the years who did their own thing and decided to come home when they were ready, but by far the majority of my cats have been co-operative about staying near my home and coming in when called.

Please keep your cat in at night and ensure he can get back into the house whenever he wants, in the daytime.

Summercat, lorilu and Deborah Martin like this.
  5. Deborah Martin

Thanks, already got him out twice a day, let him off harness today and he did stay in the garden without straying, called him back for dinner and he was more interested in staying out but managed to get him in the house in the end.

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well done. :) Just keep prompting him to come home by calling him after half an hour. Don't let him out on a full tummy or he won't have an incentive to come home.

lorilu likes this.