Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat nip questions

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emma-Jayne, May 8, 2011.

1. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Hi all hope you have had a nice weekend shame about the weather though!

I was wondering if any one can give me any info on catnip. I have never used it because my mum told me off when I was young as she said it was drugging the cat against it's will!?! I am realizing after reading these boards that everything I know about catnip isn't true.

Can you sort the myths out for me and change my mind:

Catnip is like weed and just as dangerous?

It is highly addictive and they have withdrawal if they don't have it for a while?

They become destructive after using it?

It can make them ill?

After reading about all of you cats I realize these things are unlikely to be true.

Can anyone shed some light as I think my mum may have been fibbing to save some pennies when I was little. Or to scare me into never trying any drugs :D

A bit :confused::confused::confused:

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Excuse my lazy reply :eek:,All the info you need is in this link What is catnip? Hope you find this useful :D My ragdoll is not fussed by cat nip but does respond to Valerian.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Cat nip isn't a drug like cannabis :p I've never known a cat get withdrawal symptoms if they don't have any for a while :) though it can make them act in a very odd manner - drooling, rolling around like something demented and then sleeping for ages. As Buffie says, not all cats react to catnip and of those that do, not all of them react the same way. The only destructiveness I have seen has been a cat ripping a catnip mouse to shreds :eek:
    Get your kitty a catnip toy and see how they react :w00t:

4. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

You know what I think I will. I can't believe I believed what my mum told me for all this time. :mad:

I think I'll get her a catnip mouse she's been a bit grumpy latley :D

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

It's supposed to be a mild hallucinogen.... Like acid :p

Tbh, has anyone ever studied its effects in the same way they've studied cannabis and other drugs?

They don't get withdrawal symptoms though. And it's not against their will, they choose to go to it :p

Has anyone seen that south park episode with the catnip orgy? lmao!

6. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I haven't seen that one.

Glad to find out these new facts. I feel a bit gullible! What else has mum fibbed about. Babies do come from the cabbage patch right??? :D:D:D

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

And the tooth fairy swaps your teeth for money too ;)

8. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

9. furryfriendhut

furryfriendhut PetForums Junior

I do not give cat nip to my kittens or playful cats. I do let the other ones play with it. Helps to keep the older cats active. I have never seen them go through withdrawl.

10. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Och mothers lie about bloody everything!

It's for our own good right?

My older brother once told me that cows eat horses, and I believed him! So don't feel bad :rolleyes: lmao (I was very young :p)

11. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Nooo, the storks being em! :laugh:

12. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Jet goes to sleep hugging his catnip pillow, other than that all he does is rub his face/cheeks in. Lilly ignores her pillow

13. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Awww bless does he love he's lickle pillow awwwwww so cute. Lilly may be saving it for a special occasion? :D

How are they doing hun?

Em x

14. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Not too bad at mo, however where they have separate feeding areas in the kitchen, they have no probs eating out of each others bowls, but this morning jet came out of the bathroom and he spotted her at his food - there was a paw up (no contact) hiss and a bit of a chase!

Shes terrible tho, his litter tray is downstairs, hers is upstairs, she has no probs in using his :eek: and even worse will go in there when he is using it, poor bugger doesnt have a moments peace

15. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I can totally relate. Tabitha is so taken with her big brother he can't have a pee in peace either :rolleyes:

She stayed out of her room last night and slept on her cushion next to my pillow. Moriarty was in his usual spot on the other side of the pillow!

I brought her cat tree downstairs today and she is sleeping on the top bed so at least Moriarty has his spot on the couch back. Good job really as she has destroyed his box :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice