Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat neutered and can only eat chicken, bad?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sarahandkevin, Apr 28, 2011.

1. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin PetForums Junior

our tatty got neutered on 26th of this month, since that time she has only had chicken breast as advised by the vet, we give her some felix this morning and she vomited loads of vomit which i guess was the felix, and also as advised by the vet we are going to wait 12 hours until her next feed as she was sick, so that will be 8pm tonight

now my concerns are, should i leave feeding until 8pm and what else can i be feeding her as i am concerned a cooked chicken breast is not good enough for her (oven cooked) so what else can i do? can i cook her anything like peas and brown basmati rice to go with her chicken to provide her with more of the good stuff? it could of course be a mad question and you could say to me no do not feed her rice or peas but that is why i am coming here in hoping some lovely people can advise me on what to do with tatty now

tatty is 6 months and is a female

anything more you need to know please ask, thank you

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

felix is like feeding her a big mac, after eating just chicken her tummy probably cant handle it. I would get her on a better quality food and change her from chicken to cat food gradually.:)

3. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Ive not heard any vet say that they could not eat anything but chicken after being done it could have just been heavy on the stomach.
    Try giving a small amount of felix mixed with the chicken tonight, Then i would feed small and often after that.

4. sarahandkevin

oh right, the vet said just feed her rice and chicken, not given her rice yet but will give her some felix with the chicken and a tiny amount of brown basmati tonight at about 8 or may do it at 7?

i would love to buy her premium foods but i am just not sure what are premium foods and i can also only afford cheap food, well food that is not too expensive, not foods like sheba, do i have any options available to me? as i obviously want our cat to lead a good healthy life

thank you

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i was going to say that, strange that the vet suggested only eating chicken

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm a tad confused.You say she was only neutered 2 days ago and yet she is going outside already?(Other thread re vaccinations)I have never heard of a vet suggesting "chicken only" for 2 days after neutering,possibly for the first meal after coming home but then back to normal food.She should not be going outside at all at the moment,so soon after surgery.She is still really young or am I mistaken.In February she was 15 weeks old so she can be no more tan 5/6 months now .I would ,apart from keepimg her in post neuter,be keeping her in for at least another 2/3 months until she is a bit older and more able to cope outside.

7. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Where did you read that she is going out. I didn't see that

8. sarahandkevin

she is not going out at the moment no, she will not be going out for about another 10 days yet when she will be fully healed

9. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

Hi sarahandkevin,

Your vets advice seems a bit odd to me as my cats have eaten their usual diet as soon as they were able to eat, following neutering, which has always been the evening of surgery.

If she was sick I would advise you feed her little and often. Chicken alone (or even with rice) is not a healthy complete diet so I would use a complete cat food instead. Premium foods are expensive so I would suggest you get the best you can afford. The A-Z Guide of wet foods above would give you a good idea.

If she continues to vomit after eating, please discuss with your vet 9or the on call vet over this long weekend).

All the best.

10. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Vets generally say bland food (chicken, white fish RC sensitivity etc) for a few days post op, due to the anaesthetic possibly causing an upset tummy. I know myself when I have GAs I feel horrendously sick for days after and can't face food, like someone said above if someone then gave me a big mac i'd either be sick or punch them :D

Just chicken for a few days wont hurt nutritionally she wont be getting all her vits and minerals but a few days will be fine, but you can gradually wean her back onto your food of choice now. Seeing as she was sick with the felix perhaps try her later with mostly chicken but a teeny bit of felix then each meal increase the felix and reduce the chicken.

There's a really good sticky at the top of this forum about which foods are best. I get mine online from zooplus and it works out cheaper than buying felix/whiskas/junk food and its much better for them

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

12. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Oh for goodness sake....

13. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Oh thats why i didn't see it because its on a different thread

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice