Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Mouth Cancer

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Janice, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Janice

Janice PetForums Newbie

Hi Just as a matter of interest, I will relay this information, if it saves another another cat from suffering. I lost an Elderly cat to Mouth cancer in September having visited the Vets approx seven times in as many months they failed to diagnose mouth cancer and said after three visits to three vets and a major complaint to the owner of the practice at the same practice that she had Gingivitis which had caused bad teeth the advised that she needed to have five teeth extracted this they did. But when she still had difficulty eating they did tests for Kidneys etc, etc, etc still they did not diagnose mouth cancer until the final day of her 17 year life when I put down her breakfast and she tried to eat but could not open her mouth I took her for her final journey and the Vet could not open her mouth they kept her overnight to do this under anethestic I had at that point told them I suspected she had mouth Cancer they rang me the next day at work and told me that the Cancer was so far advanced it had eaten the muscle in her Jaw and they let her go whilst she was still sleeping. I work in a Dental Surgery and one of the dentists told me that if Mouth Cancer is suspected you do not extract teeth as this gives the Cancer somewhere to go and causes it too spread. That poor animal must have suffered so much because I took the word of a professional instead of listening to my gut intincts. This is a lesson I have learned.

paws likes this.
  2. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Sorry to hear about the loss of one of your pets Janice.
    Hopefully with people taking the time to read your post, some good may come of it.

Thanks!
    :)

3. may

may PetForums VIP

This is such a sad post:( my heart goes out to you.

4. silknsox

silknsox PetForums Newbie

Oh goodness! I am ever so sorry to hear about your experience. It's almost unbelievable, but I know that what you tell us is true. It's just hard to credit a vet for making such a huge error?!!

I feel for you having to go through such a terrible experience. It isn't just letting the cat go, it's more to do with the fact that she was miss diagnosed several times, then put to sleep before you had the chance to wish her fare well, until you meet on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. I hope that your vet apologised to you? I lost an 18 year old cat earlier this year, so I can understand exactly what the loss must be like, & the pain it causes when you loose your feline family. I really do hope that time will heal in this instance....

Silknsox >"o"<

5. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

It's a sad end to a long happy life, but you did everything you could for your cat. I would like to say it is unbelievable that such mistakes could be made, but after years of working with animals and their owners, it's a story I hear quite often. We put our faith in the vets, because we have nothing else. Often people are labelled as over fussy worriers, when actually they know there is something wrong with their animal. Sometimes with older pets it seemed like the atitude is well it's old what do you expect.

6. Yeah....professionals......I did had a few very bad experiences with Vets . Now - whatever they say - I'd rather go to Internet and search it for anything suspected or mentioned, make a list of recomended treatments and medications and go back to "professionals" for prescription. Tnere are several cat health groups on the Yahoo too, people sharing experience and helping to each other with advise.

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Seems to be common now people diagnosing their own pets through use of the internet. I'm always very careful when people ask for advice about their animals, I say what I would do in the situation, then they need to make up their own mind

8. Yeah - thets the best thing to do.

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Really sorry for your loss and very bad experience with the vets - its bad enough losing your friend but losing her in this way is so frustrating.

10. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi Janice - Its a terrible, terrible thing that happened to your cat I can understand your feelings and hurt. I lost my cat 2 weeks ago through a car accident and I am still grieving for him, it must of been very upsetting for you to see your cat go through this.

My thoughts are with you.

11. LouiseRay

LouiseRay PetForums Newbie

Hi all

I am looking for some advice. I do volunteer work for an animal charity, and a week ago, a cat was brought in who had been diagnosed with mouth cancer 2 weeks previously. She was there to be euthanased but a lot of us felt that she was not sick enough to justify this, so I rehomed her, with the intention of getting her eating again, building up her strength so that she is able for treatment and then hopefully finding a nice home for her when she recovers. Even if surgery is not successful, we will obviously nurse her until such a time that keeping her alive is unfair on her. I would never keep an animal alive who was suffering but if she can have some wuality of life then we are willing to put in the effort.
    So far, we have got her back on semi-solids and her mood is up. Her gums and mouth are very swollen so we took her to a vet the day before yesterday and she was given an antibiotic shot, as well as 14 days supply of abtibiotic tabs, she seemed to really improve yesterday but today she is not great. Does anyone have any experience with matters like these?

12. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

:( Oh Janice-what a tragic tale-really sorry this happened to your beloved cat-must have took a lot of courage to relay this tale-thankyou, my biggest hugs go out to you:) Sorry Louise-i have no knowledge or experience of this other than the tradic post off Janice-but i really do wish your patient well and she has you and other carers fighting her corner-thats a good start:)
    Know it's a hard one but do keep us updated on her progress as it may help others and educate:)

#12 Siamese Kelly, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  13. LouiseRay

i will do of course. obviously we all want what is best for her so if her time is up then we will have to say goodbye. want to give her a fighting chance though. will keep you all posted, in the meantime if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it x

14. Lynsey

Lynsey PetForums Senior

Sorry Janice about your cat but at least you did your best by her.

15. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Im so sorry for your loss,we put our faith in our vets,maybe to much sometimes:(

16. LouiseRay

hey all, we brought Tiger for her checkup last night, and it is good news. The tumour appears to have reduced in size, and her gums are not as swollen as they were now that she is on antibiotics. We have her on a formula that I am reluctant to tell any vet about, because it is a natural remedy, and you know the old battle of conventional vs alternative, but we really do have faith in it. Anyway she is doing very well, her mood is generally up and she is eating solids. Last night, she had a little play it was so nice to see. She was hiding behind one of our suitcases and she was pretending to hunt me - kept batting me with her paw (with her claws in mind!), then she rolled over and had a big rub and scratch on her tummy. She has the loudest, most rumbly purr ever! :eek:

17. Lynsey

Lynsey PetForums Senior

Good to hear she is feeling better, hope she continues doing well.

18. sevencats

sevencats PetForums Junior

Deepest sympathy for your loss, Janice. I have had a similar experience. Cat was taken to vet off and on for three months. Finally sent to a University clinic where nasal cancer was diagnosed. Local vet did not have correct equipment. We beat around the bush while the cat developed bleeding and breathing problems. She is now at the UW undergoing radiation as a last hope. Lesson I learned: be vigilant. Go to another vet if symptoms can not be diagnosed. You did the best you could. No one could do any better than that. Yes, I think people will learn from your experience.

19. LouiseRay

Hey all

It has been a while, but just a quick update. Tigre (as we are now calling him - yes turns out she's a he!) is going for a biopsy tomorrow morning. We have spent the last few weeks getting him back on food and he is eating a fair amount. He has had to have 2 courses of antibiotics for the associated ulceration. He responded well to the first course, he is now on the 2nd course but not responding as well to this one. He will have his biopsy tomorrow and if needs be, surgery to follow. If I'm being totally honest I do think that he probably does have cancer, but we are hoping that it is treatable. Does anyone know what the success rate is? I know it depends on how early you catch it, but we are hoping it hasnt spread. He is in good condition, shiny coat, clear eyes and is happy (has practically become my shadow at this point and loves his cuddles) Just so worried about tomorrow... also, does anyone know of the cost involved with treating something like this? Obviously I will find the moeny it takes but am really smashed at the mo :(

20. bee112

bee112 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry, that is awfull :(

At she isnt suffering any more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice