UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite often when Pip goes number 2 in her litter tray, she will dig a hole for herself then manage to angle herself so that all of the poop will fall outside the tray. She will then see it and get confused, and scoop litter out from her tray on top of it :rolleyes: There are puppy training pads/ newspaper under the tray, so the problem isn't that it's getting on the carpet or anything, it's just a pain to have to clear all the litter up from the floor.

Should I get her a bigger litter tray? The one she has is quite big, she just doesn't seem to realise what's happening :(

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I would need to get a covered one but as her kittens are so small just now I guess I'll just need to put up with the poop problems until they're big enough to use it too/have gone to their new homes! :eek: (I'm sure I read somewhere that it's best to have an uncovered tray when they're just learning? Please correct me if I'm wrong haha)

·
Registered
212 Posts
My cat was used to the deep Van Ness trays, but we slowly introduced a lidded one with the flap completely open and folded back. She got used to using it this way and then finally we popped the flap down and hey presto! :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you :thumbup: I will get her a covered one and try to convince her to use that, then put the uncovered one out when the kittens are old enough to use it, and hope that in time they will all decide that the covered one is the best one to use :p

You have also given me a good excuse to go to [email protected], something that I have been avoiding for a while because it is always a costly trip! I feel bad buying for one of my pets, so have to get something new for the rest too... :eek:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Button has a habit of doing that..
She stands IN the litter tray but her bum over hangs the tray and the poop goes on the floor.. She only does it if she's been told off about something though :hand:

G

·
I had an idiot who'd poo over the side and spend 1/2 an hour raking litter, sniffing, and looking bemused. I bought a larger, deeper tray, too high to be pooped over the side.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I had this problem with Manny :rolleyes: He would quite happily sit in the litter tray thinking he was doing a great job, but his bum was hanging over the edge :rolleyes: He also used to sit there thinking to himself 'I'm sure I just had a poo, where the hell is it!!' :D

I got an XXL litter tray (it really is huuuuuuge!!) and also made sure it was tucked away in a corner so his bum couldn't get over the edge! Did the trick for us :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may see if I can get both a covered one and an XXL one then, just to be sure :D

I tried the up-against-a-corner thing last night, but Pip had stolen some dog food while my back was turned and it didn't seem to agree with her stomach... Let's just say it didn't end well for the wall that the tray was against :mellow: I have had pets all my life and I don't think there's any kind of bodily fluid that they could produce that would bother me too much, but my boyfriend(who has only ever really had a pet dog who thinks he's a person) was not impressed at all :001_rolleyes: :lol::lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.