Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat missing past 24 hours, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by Conor Mooney, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Conor Mooney

Conor Mooney PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

I have two sibling cats, both neutered males, a short-haired black one named Ganett, and a long-haired black and white larger cat named Mooch, both just reaching over a year old now and are micro-chipped, neither have a collar.

24 hours ago from now at around yesterday afternoon was the last time I saw Mooch, who both him and Ganett freely go in and out of the back door whilst me and my family are home. Mooch however, has not come home, and I am getting extremely worried as whilst he does tend to wander more than Ganett he has never been anywhere near gone this long, especially after missing both his feedings. I have alerted my neighbors to keep an eye for him as they both know him quite well. I've also tried leaving Ganett out to see if they'd find each other but to no avail (thought Ganett rarely leaves the garden). I often go out to call him as they do tend to respond to my calls but I have gotten no answers. My local street is generally very cat-friendly and is populated with felines roaming around, and one thing I am particularly worried are the roads, though whilst Mooch does tend to get to the front of the house a lot and run around the pavements he does not cross the roads at all, and the roads themselves only experience a few cars every few minutes, though I am deeply concerned about such incidents with him.

As said before this is the first time this has happened, and I have heard cats vanishing for a couple of days only to randomly return. Should I be worried? Would missing slips around the street be appropriate at this time? Thanks for any advice

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Personally yes, I'd be dropping things through doors. Particularly to ask people to look in sheds and garages. It's been nice round here over the weekend so people will have been in gardens. Not sure about where you are.

Also posting on your local Facebook page if you have one might help.

Mine sometimes go missing for a while, I think they sometimes find greener grass for a while.

Hope he turns up.

3. Conor Mooney

Conor Mooney PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the info. I have tried to do most of the things as you and my vet neighbour has recommended.

Very sadly though my local vet contacted me this morning to tell me that my cat had been fatally hit by a car earlier today, literally just down the road. I'm really furious with myself as I feel this could have been prevented had I put slips around the street just yesterday. Thank you for the help

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your sad news. :-(

Conor Mooney likes this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Don't blame yourself though, sometimes unfortunately these things happen. At least you had your cat chipped so you know (albeit really not what you wanted to hear) what happened. Some people never find out.

Look after yourself.

RIP Mooch.

Conor Mooney likes this.
  6. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry for your loss....

Any loss is always devastating, but it wasn't your fault.

Thankfully, through your local vet & chipping, you know what happened instead of hoping and wondering if he was ok or not...

I have lost many cats through the years, some before their time and some, despite being chipped, we never found out what happened to them. Please console yourself that he had a full and loving life during his time with you....

7. Diana143

Diana143 PetForums Newbie

The same thing happened to my cat but I found him 3hrs later on the corner of the street it is the worst feeling ever im sorry for ur loss its painful because i relive that day when I found him

8. Diana143

Diana143 PetForums Newbie

Loosing your cat that you love is the worst feeling in the world im still grieving he was my baby that I had for 12yrs and finding him lifeless was sooo devastating

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice