Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat missing brother

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marsaday, Mar 25, 2011.

1. marsaday

marsaday PetForums Junior

Is is normal for cats to miss brothers or sisters who have been put to sleep.

Our cat was sadly put down on wed and his brother was really missing him yesterday. he stayed outside all night as well.

Today he is meowing and walking in the garden.

We are a bit worried as he isnt eating much.

2. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Abby and rebel were litter sisters.
    When rebel died Abby took weeks to adjust to life without Rebel.
    All you can do is comfort them and in time they should adjust.
    Sorry for your loss.

RIP pussycat

Steve

3. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Although my two previous cats weren't brothers (Paws was 2 when we got Gizmo) they were very close. When the younger Gizmo was very sick with stomach cancer, Paws stayed close to him in the garden and watched over him. When he died Paws sat on the fence above his grave and then laid on it every day for a while. He definately was mourning his buddy and it was so sad to see, he was lost without him. He eventually coped with Gizmo's death and sad to say we lost him 2 years later with liver cancer. My only comfort was that they would be reunited. In time he will move on but it is distressing and confusing for them as one minute his brother was there and the next he's gone, that's how it must seem to them. Sorry for your loss by the way I know how awful it is for you as do many others on the forum, our thoughts are with you.

4. marsaday

thanks for stories. we will give him lots of love and hope he pulls through.

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

So sorry for the loss of your cat :(
    I think even when they don't get on the one left will miss the other. I lost a young cat several years ago to a speeding driver who did not stop :mad: My older cat, who had never shown any sign of being fond of her was sitting by her side, crying when we found her. For several weeks after the older cat would sleep on her grave :(
    Lots of hugs to your surviving cat and I hope both of you recover from your loss before too long. x

6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

really sorry for your loss...sending you all lots of hugs and love xx

7. FabiMama27

FabiMama27 PetForums Junior

One of my kittens died on Wednesday and her sister has been looking for her. I can see that she's expecting Cholita to show up any minute and it's really breaking my heart to see her like this.

They were very close and played together a lot. I know she must be confused and wondering what's happening. I just try to keep her company and give her lots of love and attention. She can sense my grief too, so she's been by my side all this time.

I'm sorry about your loss. It's such a painful experience. I just hope your little one didn't suffer.

8. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am sorry for your loss.
    Somebody told me once that if one of your cats died it is best for them to see the body and then they will know what's happened.
    we have been able to do this and last year while i was on holiday one of my cats was killed by a car. My niece came over and placed him in our house for a couple of hours so our other cat could see him.
    I am sure this has helped with her. They were inseparable.
    As you cannot do this now other things can be done to help with his bereavement.
    Give him lots more attention. Leaving the radio on if you go to work or go out.
    Play with him a bit more.

In time it might be good to get a kitten. It will keep him occupied and maybe somebody to play with.

We did this and it has worked for us. We have 3 cats 17 years, 3 years and a 10 month old and they all get on.

It also helped us with our bereavement too.

9. marsaday

We do have another cat as well. The radio is a good idea !

He is really depressed !

He has not eaten or drunk anything since thur morning i think. He looks at the water and that is all. He is crying out and sitting on the front doorstep.

These brothers were ying and yang. His dead brother was the extrovert and sooty the introvert.

We are going out for the day as we need to get out of the house because it has been a tough time for us. I hope when he sees us tonight he will be happy to see us.

We are going to make him some fish as well.

This cat was also ill like this when we went to france for a long weekend last nov - we thought he was going to die. But it turns out it was this depression thing. amazing really. Have you any cats who get depression ?

#9 marsaday, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  10. marsaday

he is now very poorly. we are giving him water injections and will take him to the vets tomorrow. will steroids help perk him up do you think

11. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Sorry don't know what to suggest, sad that he is in such a bad way:( My only experience of depression in a cat was when I put Scamp in a cattery for 2 weeks and he stopped eating and drinking, they did everything they could but he hated the experience and really missed us and home, when we got home he wouldn't leave me at first and kept meowing all the time. I really think he was on the verge of giving up and I am just grateful we weren't away any longer. The cattery was lovely, I just think it was too much for him as this was his first time in one, needless to say he won't be going away again. He looked listless and his eyes were sunken where he had not drunk much, he's a stubborn bugger at the best of times :rolleyes:: I really hope your cat comes through this, maybe someone else can suggest something to help.

12. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is so ill with depression. I have never had to deal with this but I hope your vet can give him something which will help.

13. marsaday

well it is good to know your cat was not eating/drinking for quite a while.

we will see how he gets on. he is sat with us in the garden. still very still and quiet

14. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Please keep us updated and give him lots of attention and hugs, he needs it right now:)

15. marsaday

He was weak yesterday and started to bleed a bit in the mouth in the evening.

This morning he was bleeding a bit more and so i got to the vet on opening.

They say his temperature is very low and he will probably die today.

they will put him on a drip. also they say he has a kidney problem from the breath smell and i think this is why he is so bad these last few days - not just lack of food and water.

This really is a surreal time for us, loosing his brother last week and now probably sooty today. plus a female cat before christmas. they are all the same age - 13 - and i know this is when things can go wrong, but 3 cats in 4 mths is hard to take.

16. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I have be following your thread for the last few days and wondering how things are going.
    I am so sorry to here that he's not getting any better and that he might go to Rainbow bridge later today.

It's a really sad time for you and just wanted to say that you are in my thoughts
    As you say loosing all your cats in such a short time is very painful.
    One of the down falls when you have them the same age.
    We had two the same age one died 5 months ago at the age of 16.5 years leaving the other one who is hopefully going to reach her 17th birthday in April.

This is a lovely forum for those that love our pets and we all on here know how you must be feeling right now. So please keep in touch with us.

17. marsaday

He died naturally at the vets. The drip didnt help him. He was far to ill.

It looks like sooty had weak kidneys, and any stress would cause then to not work - especially if he stops drinking.

last nov this happened when we went away for 4 days. he was very weak when we came back and the vet said kidneys, but we nursed him and he got better.

This time i dont think he could come back, but i feel guilty because we should have gone to the vet on friday. we thought it was just depression, but it seems to be more serious than that.

after he recovered last time we thought the vet had got it wrong and he was really ok.

i have just buried him with his brother and i hope i will see then again one day.

18. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I am so, so sorry :(:( Your post has brought tears to my eyes.
    Rest in Peace Sooty and run free with your beloved brother over the Rainbow Bridge.
    Sending you loving thoughts and hugs marsaday ((()))

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Really, really sorry to read this Marsaday. :(

There's nothing I can say that will make you feel better so I'm just sending you lots of big hugs instead and letting you know that you are in my thoughts.

20. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

So sorry, you have had an awful time and we are all here should you need to talk. Run free at the bridge little ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice