Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat meows every 3-4 hours

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kawaii_cdn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

My BSH is almost meowing to me every 3-4 hours every since I’ve come back from the hospital. I went to the hospital for a week and he has obviously bonded with my parents and not close to me anymore. I’ve been home for 3 days now and his relationship with me is getting worse each day. He is neutered and 3 years old.

Never done anything like this before I went to the hospital. He used to be quiet all day and never meow unless I try to make him meow for his canned food. (In a playful sort of way). He has enough food and water and I am doing everything in the original routine as I have done before.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What’s wrong with him meowing “speaking” to you several times a day?

Perhaps he was upset at your absence and us just checking that you’re around?

chillminx, Betty6691 and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You smell different. His routine has been upset. He has a lot to say about it. Talk back to him when he meows to you. Tell him all about it.

And please stop teasing him when you feed him. You may call it "playful" but teasing causes stress. You don't want him stressed when eating.

if you want to train him to do things like speak on command, use treats or clicker training at other times, not meal times.

#3 lorilu, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Kawaii_cdn - I agree with the others ^^ your cat missed you while you were away, and now he is telling you about it. He may need a bit of reassurance that you are not going to leave him again soon. So talk soothingly to him.

Let him get what he wants to tell you off his chest, and then I expect he will stop miaowing as much. :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

Of course I wouldn’t mind if he’s just meowing like he’s saying hello, or anything. I’d be thrilled. But if you actually hear what it sounds like… it really sounds like he needs something or wants something. And by meowing every few hours I literally mean constantly, like, asking for something. And I got worried the first day because he keeps hiding under my bed whenever I tries to get near him. It sounds contradicting, and that’s when I started to notice the bonding problem.

and the point is about the bonding, not the teasing. If you see my way of “playfully teasing” and his response to it you probably wouldn’t have given the suggestion and just smile at it.

I’m agree with all of you it’s probably because of the scent, but why is he disliking me more and more every day. Now he’s even quit following me around and is actually to escape from me.

#5 Kawaii_cdn, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Kawaii_cdn - in view of what you say it sounds as though your cat could be unwell and is trying to tell you something is wrong. Especially if he is hiding from you as well as crying loudly and insistently. I think you should take him to the vet for a check up.

How does he behave towards your parents? Do they like him?

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I agree with chillminx. Is he urinating normally?

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice