Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat meowing/yowling suddenly

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jenna-Rhianne, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

1. Jenna-Rhianne

Jenna-Rhianne PetForums Newbie

I have two indoor cats Sooty and Sweep. Around 2 weeks ago when I was leaving for work one of my cats (Sooty) started meowing, she seemed distressed, but after a few meows she seemed to settle and wanted a bit of attention before I left, however seemed to be ok overall.

Since this first occurence it seems like at least once a day she would meow and in some cases heave like she was trying to bring up a hairball but only ever seemed to manage a bit of clear mucus (Just as a side note she has never had any trouble bringing up hariballs on her own).

I've been off work the last week and a bit, so I'm not sure if this is the first time she's ever meowed in this way or if it's because I've been home most of the time that I'm noticing, but she has meowed at least once a day, and it is not a normal meow like when she is asking for food. I was so worried last Wednesday as she had done it a few times throughout the day I spent the night on the sofa and she was sick a little that night at around 2.30am but has not been sick since as far as I'm aware.

She is still eating, fussy as she has always been, but eats a decent meal and picks at biscuits throughout the day if she's hungry. I feed her Purina One biscuits and mainly Applaws wet food. I have managed to get my other cat (Sweep) eating Purina Gold wet food but Sooty is quite fussy and I've never quite managed to get her fully converted to any other brand.

She has still been using the litter tray and going to the toilet fine with no meowing when using the litter tray. I wormed both of them last week as an extra precaution as I thought it may be worms. No sign of any.

She's never liked treats so I bought some hairball paste and have been giving her that every day or so and she has passed a couple of hairballs in the litter tray but still no signs of sickness.

I've created a link to a video below as the website said it was too large to upload which shows her meowing, this is the first time I've manged to catch it on tape and was quite a long episode compared to some days where it's a single meow. She also seems to lick her lips. She's licking her paw at the end due to the paste she was given earlier.

Any advice, guidance, experience with this would be much appreciated as other than the meowing and lip licking she seems her normal self and within 15 minutes of the video being taken she had eaten some biscuits and is now sleeping next to me. She also doesn't show any signs of discomfort when I pick her up or when I tried to feel for any lumps etc.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Lip licking is usually a sign of nausea so I would say there is something troubling her. I'd advise a visit to the vet

3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

The meowing is a sign that she is getting pain. It is unwise to leave it any longer she really needs to see the vet for more investigation. Please don’t try and treat this at home. Hope all is well soon.

Veronica Chapman likes this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

mine only makes this meowing/yowling noise when he is about to bring up a hairball ! (thankfully a rare occurrence).
    I think if Sooty is making the noises but not being sick or bringing up a hairball then a visit to the vet is in order just to make sure that she hasn't got something 'stuck' somewhere.

Veronica Chapman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice