Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat meowing in the night, won't stop

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Nicosierra, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Nicosierra

Nicosierra PetForums Newbie

Hi I am looking for advice with my 2 cats who are both almost 16 years old. One of them, Kaly, is always looking for fuss. 2 weeks ago we moved into a flat from a house with a garden and they both seemed really happy as there are big windows onto a communal garden to look out of However, this week Kaly has been yowling in the middle of the night. I assumed this was for more fuss as she only meows for fuss and lap sits however she didn't seem to want it. They aren't supposed to go into the bedroom but she just wouldn't stop so I put her on the bed. However, she wouldn't settle and would get up regularly to meow and wander around even though I had been fussing her up to then. I tried having her on my lap for half an hour until she was so happy she went off to sleep just before bed time. That worked once and then she was back to yowling last night despite the lap sit. She just won't stop and I don't know what to do. I'm losing a lot of sleep over this. Help!

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)
    Could it simply be a case if the cats missing their garden? I'm assuming they are now both confined to the new flat?
    If not, I'd get them both checked out by the vet if they haven't bee seen recently. At 16 years old they could be developing age related illnesses which can be controlled or improved with medication. Please do let us know how it goes x

chillminx likes this.
  3. Nicosierra

Nicosierra PetForums Newbie

Thanks moggie14 for the welcome and response :)
    Yes they are now confined though I don't think it's the garden as previously when they've been locked in for a while they've been really restless. However they haven't been restless at all.
    I actually went to the vets a week ago for a welcome check-up and they said they were both in good health. I dropped by today but they said it was probably some change that they didn't like. But nothing has changed between pre yowling and now, lots changed last week as I sorted things out but they didn't seem to mind. Either that or dementia, they said... It wasn't very helpful for the short term so I am still hoping someone has had a similar experience that they have managed to resolve.

moggie14 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice