Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Mat (in French Tapis de Chat)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by anotheruser, Feb 6, 2012.

1. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

So...

In the keeping it simple fashion:

• Do you use a mat outside of your litter trays?
    • Is tracking reduced or non-existent with your mat?
    • What litter do you use?

#1 anotheruser, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I only bought stuff the day before I picked up cookie, so I didn't really know what I needed.

I bought a hooded tray and then read the reviews so on the way to pick her up I took it back and bought an open tray, since I didn't know what she was used to.

So yes I bought a semi circular mat from P@H, it's a bit pointless but probably stops the tray moving.

She mostly jumps out at the side, so again mat doesn't serve a purpose.

The breeder gave me some litter, don't know what it was. I now buy Worlds Best. I have black kitchen flooring so there is the odd paw print and she does flick some out of the tray, but that's soon swept up.

3. K337

K337 PetForums VIP

On the advice from Moggybaby :thumbup: I picked up some chenille bath mats
      It certainly reduces the tracking and catches most of the litter :D The cats also like to sit on them which I think is a bit odd :rolleyes:
      Cats Best Okoplus in two trays and Cats Best Natures Gold in another. We are still in the process of deciding which we prefer ;)

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

anotheruser; So...

In the keeping it simple fashion:

Yes, plastic mats purchased from Zooplus.
      Reduced. Still have to pick some bits up because the cats have a tendancy to jump out of the boxes rather than step out of them.
      Nature's Gold

To add: On the recommendation of Oscars Mam, I did get the chenille bath mats which were FANTASTIC!!!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY............. The 'texture / shape of the pile' of them was so similar to the Natures Gold litter that Abby decided she would much rather piddle & poop on the mats rather than in the box!!!! :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:

So that experiment - which worked so well - was rather short lived. Back to picking bits up off the floor again.... :mad2:

5. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Do you use a mat outside of your litter trays?
    Yes, a plastic one for two trays, no mat on the third tray we put down

Is tracking reduced or non-existent with your mat?
    Definitely a big difference between the trays that have mats and the one that doesn't!

What litter do you use?
    Nature Gold

6. K337

K337 PetForums VIP

Ah, well thanks Oscars Mam as well then :D I thought I was unlucky having to wash two on the second day as one cat vomited on one and then the second had an unfortunate footwork problem in the box. But it seems I got off lightly!

Also, I should have mentioned that I've just started using litter boxes again (or rather my cats have) and the cats best litter really is much better than the chickcrumb I was using when I first got the boys.

7. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

We have a normal coir doormat in front of our hooded tray (it was a spare we had and so I grabbed it to try, worked well), and nothing in front of our open tray atm although I think we'll buy another coir mat.

When we were using a fine, clumping clay litter it was definitely reduced - most of the excess litter being tracked out of the tray ended up trapped in the fibres of the mat so provided I vacumned the mat a couple of times a week, very little litter ended up elsewhere.

What litter do you use?

Currently we are using a larger, non-clumping litter that barely tracks (but has a whole host of it's own problems), but were previously using a fine grained clumping clay based litter. I'm currently waiting on a delivery of Oko Plus so will no doubt have a new oppinion after that has been in use for a week or so.

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have looped cotton bath-mat outside one and none outside the other
    Definitely reduced. Lots of bits picked up by the bath-mat and I'm constantly sweeping up round the other tray.
    What litter do you use?
    Oko Plus

I have to add though the tray with mat is a covered one and the other one open so there's more litter kicked out of the open one anyway. I think it would need mats all round for that idea to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice