Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat losing weight after bad Conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jasmine2, Dec 9, 2020.

1. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

My cat had Conjunctivitis some time ago and the vet gave her ointment to put in her eyes. My cat was not letting me put it in her eye and I was really struggling. The first time I put it in her eye her eye had swollen by the evening and I thought maybe she’s had some kind of reaction to it. I managed to put it few times in her eye but she was not letting me to put it in her eye. when my kittens eye discharge has started and I was given the same ointment I had noticed that the upper part of ointment bottle was wrapped in plastic but the eye ointment I was given for my this cat was without any plastic covering. I’m wondering if they were used eye drop tube given to me? Anyway since she came back from the vets she seemed quiet and shes still not her cheerful self. Her eye remained swollen for few weeks and I had contacted the vet saying that could they also give her oral antibiotics as she’s not letting me put the ointment in her eyes but they said that oral antibiotics will not work work for the eye area. Is this true, as previously when she had Conjunctivitis the other vet had given her both oral antibiotics and eye drops and she was fine in one week. Now the issue is that she’s lost weight and seems quiet and this has happened right after her eye problem. Her eye gradually healed on it’s on but she still has some crusty reddish brown discharge in the corner of her eye. Strange thing is that this cat and my other cat who had neutering operation with this vet surgery both seem quiet after a visit to this vet. I’ve taken my cat’s to the other vets in the past and as soon as they come home they are their cheerful self. I’m thinking that because her eye was bad for nearly a month so probably this has impacted her health and she’s lost weight. What do you suggest please? I keep coming back here for advice as here are very knowledgeable and experienced people here and I value your advice and really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

One of my girls suffers with eye infections and it can bring them down.

1. little tip is to warm the ointment ( pop it in your bra) for at least 30 mins prior, cats prefer warmer ointment and hardly feel it going in unlike the shock of cold ointment. Then give a high prised treat as a reward.
    2. Also bathe her eye with cooled boiled salty water a few times a day, my girl again likes it warm and only use one cotton pad per eye to avoid cross contamination.
    3. IF ever the eye is NOT reduced in redness or any visual improvement after 3-4 days take cat back to vet OR send an e mail picture to the vet.

I have gone through all sorts of eye ointments some work some haven’t!

As for building her up I would boil chicken and give her some warm shredded chicken with some of the broth from the stock. This should get her back on track.

IF you are not happy with this vet 100% change! You can’t mess about with cats eyes!

Did they test her eye first for any scratches on the eye?

chillminx and Whompingwillow like this.
  3. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Thank you so much for the advice and no they didn’t test her eye. I will try these things and hopefully she will start to feel better soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice