UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a semi long haired cat and I'm getting two kittens in a few weeks, one long haired and one short haired.

Pepsi currently goes outside and uses a patch of gravel/sand in the "field" (tiny patch of overgrown land it doesn't below to anyone) outside my house and refuses to use a tray unless he is desperate. We had to keep him in for a few weeks last year due to scratches from a rabbit that wouldn't heal. He finally used it after holding it in for 4 days :eek:.

We've just been using asda smart price litter as he only usually gets kept in once or twice a year. It's clay based which I heard was unsafe for kittens and once it's been used once the whole thing needs emptied. Which is ok for a few days a year but not really practical once I get the kittens.

So I'm hoping for a kitten safe, clumping, flushable litter that doesn't track all over the house with long haired kitties.

I was looking at oko plus but heard that it tracks everywhere so not really an option. Oko plus is almost £10 for 10l from pets at home and asda's is £1.50 for the same amount, which would be better value?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have tried many brands of litters , they all track

I never use clumping litters with young kittens as they tend to eat it ,

I currently use paper based and wood pellets .. I find them ok .. I currently have 2 cats and 5 youngs kittens in the house and the odour control is very good ... Tracking is not to bad , but the girls have always been petty clean ... I use hooded trays which also helps

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I also use Nature Gold from Oko, I have short haired cats but find it makes a lot less mess than the regular OKO as it is pellets.

I would be more concerned about what the litter is made of than whether it clumps or not. A corn or wheat based clumping litter will disintegrate if ingested, and pass through the system, whereas a clay based one will clog and sit in the digestive system and can easily cause a blockage. It can also cause breathing problems if the powder from it is inhaled.

Another one to avoid is silica which doesn't clump, it does last a good while if you don't mind the yellow colour but the dust from it can cause respiratory problems.

I have bought very fine vegetable based litters which do not clump (Benevo) and while they are messy, they are not as bad as OKO Cats Best, they are like chick crumb, which is cheap, but if you go that route you need to be sure it isn't treated with hormones.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I use a clay based clumping litter. I suppose every kitten/cat is different and I may have just been lucky but none of my cats/kittens have ever shown any interest of eating this litter. I do agree with the powder tho it is a bit dusty when I do a complete change, which is once a week. I scoop everyday and the smell isn't too bad but I will add a litter freshner when I scoop.

I pay £6 for a 20l bag from my local pet shop but recently found it for £4.99 at a local farm shop which is a further drive but I can buy more and save more.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I can't say how long it lasts, sorry :D I will have a look at when I bought it and work it out from that.
Edit - I bought it end of May and opened it a week or 2 later. I still have a far bit left. I use the bigger trays too but not deep filled. 2 indoor only cats, 3 - 4 trays on the go. I bought the 20L plus 5 free. I always mean to make a note of how long it lasts and I always forget to do it.

Because you are only removing the clumps you don't waste as much and it doesn't need changing as often.

It's not just whether they eat the litter, the clay gets on paws and other places and licked off, it can still be lethal if they are fluffy and it clings, then they swallow it during washing, it stays in the intestines and won't pass through, then a bit more sticks to it, eventually blocks completely and if you don't realise whey the kitty isn't eating, you soon have a dead pet.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
This might help :D

Product Search - Over 7.000 Products

Plant based is what it says, just got the new bag to look at, it says can remain in the tray 4 -6 weeks, if you fill it up I suppose it would last that long. It is organic, compostable, flushable, anti microbial effect, soft wood raw material.

The one thing I would say is to leave it for a while to 'set' before scooping or it will break up.

I edited my other post re: how long it lasts :001_smile:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.