Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat littler for longhaired cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I currently have a semi long haired cat and I'm getting two kittens in a few weeks, one long haired and one short haired.

Pepsi currently goes outside and uses a patch of gravel/sand in the "field" (tiny patch of overgrown land it doesn't below to anyone) outside my house and refuses to use a tray unless he is desperate. We had to keep him in for a few weeks last year due to scratches from a rabbit that wouldn't heal. He finally used it after holding it in for 4 days :eek:.

We've just been using asda smart price litter as he only usually gets kept in once or twice a year. It's clay based which I heard was unsafe for kittens and once it's been used once the whole thing needs emptied. Which is ok for a few days a year but not really practical once I get the kittens.

So I'm hoping for a kitten safe, clumping, flushable litter that doesn't track all over the house with long haired kitties.

I was looking at oko plus but heard that it tracks everywhere so not really an option. Oko plus is almost £10 for 10l from pets at home and asda's is £1.50 for the same amount, which would be better value?

2. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I have tried many brands of litters , they all track

I never use clumping litters with young kittens as they tend to eat it ,

I currently use paper based and wood pellets .. I find them ok .. I currently have 2 cats and 5 youngs kittens in the house and the odour control is very good ... Tracking is not to bad , but the girls have always been petty clean ... I use hooded trays which also helps

3. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

I use Natures Gold even tho my lot are short haired. Minimal tracking, clumps brilliantly, can be flushed if you want and although pricey, a bag lasts ages!

4. SilverCat285

I read that clumping litter was ok for kittens as long as it wasn't clay/mineral based?

5. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I also use Nature Gold from Oko, I have short haired cats but find it makes a lot less mess than the regular OKO as it is pellets.

I would be more concerned about what the litter is made of than whether it clumps or not. A corn or wheat based clumping litter will disintegrate if ingested, and pass through the system, whereas a clay based one will clog and sit in the digestive system and can easily cause a blockage. It can also cause breathing problems if the powder from it is inhaled.

Another one to avoid is silica which doesn't clump, it does last a good while if you don't mind the yellow colour but the dust from it can cause respiratory problems.

I have bought very fine vegetable based litters which do not clump (Benevo) and while they are messy, they are not as bad as OKO Cats Best, they are like chick crumb, which is cheap, but if you go that route you need to be sure it isn't treated with hormones.

6. SilverCat285

I was looking at the oko nature gold but the price was putting me off.. How long does a 10l bag last?

7. GingerJasper

GingerJasper PetForums Senior

I use a clay based clumping litter. I suppose every kitten/cat is different and I may have just been lucky but none of my cats/kittens have ever shown any interest of eating this litter. I do agree with the powder tho it is a bit dusty when I do a complete change, which is once a week. I scoop everyday and the smell isn't too bad but I will add a litter freshner when I scoop.

I pay £6 for a 20l bag from my local pet shop but recently found it for £4.99 at a local farm shop which is a further drive but I can buy more and save more.

8. SilverCat285

I just realised I wrote "littler" in the title:rolleyes:

9. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I can't say how long it lasts, sorry :D I will have a look at when I bought it and work it out from that.
    Edit - I bought it end of May and opened it a week or 2 later. I still have a far bit left. I use the bigger trays too but not deep filled. 2 indoor only cats, 3 - 4 trays on the go. I bought the 20L plus 5 free. I always mean to make a note of how long it lasts and I always forget to do it.

Because you are only removing the clumps you don't waste as much and it doesn't need changing as often.

It's not just whether they eat the litter, the clay gets on paws and other places and licked off, it can still be lethal if they are fluffy and it clings, then they swallow it during washing, it stays in the intestines and won't pass through, then a bit more sticks to it, eventually blocks completely and if you don't realise whey the kitty isn't eating, you soon have a dead pet.

#9 maisiecat, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  10. SilverCat285

The oko litter is wood based (I think), so that should right? They're currently using non clumping wood pellets

11. profx

profx PetForums Member

Cat littler sounds like a machine to turn cats back into kittens :D

12. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

This might help :D

Product Search - Over 7.000 Products

Plant based is what it says, just got the new bag to look at, it says can remain in the tray 4 -6 weeks, if you fill it up I suppose it would last that long. It is organic, compostable, flushable, anti microbial effect, soft wood raw material.

The one thing I would say is to leave it for a while to 'set' before scooping or it will break up.

I edited my other post re: how long it lasts :001_smile:

13. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I like that :D

I was thinking of that site for cats that look like Hitler

Cats That Look Like Hitler!

14. SilverCat285

I was thinking of that hitler page too, although I like the "littler machine " idea better!

15. SilverCat285

Which one lasts 4-6 weeks? 10l or 20l?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice