Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sammy20, May 24, 2020 at 12:12 AM.

?

What type of cat litter do you use? And could you tell me why you chose this in the comments please

1. Non clumping

16.7%
  2. Clumping

50.0%
  3. Wood Pellets

33.3%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sammy20

Sammy20 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I'm new here and have two 13 week old kittens. At the moment they are using wood pellet litter (as they did with their breeders) with small kitten litter trays. They are making quite a mess what with kicking the litter over the sides so time to buy new bigger ones I think.

So please help me decide whether or not to stick with the wood pellets. I don't understand the pros and cons of each and was wondering what was the most popular. One of my kittens is scraping all the wood pellets aside when doing a poo (so it goes straight on the plastic). For this reason I am wondering if the clumping type would be better, but I have never used it.

Sorry to ramble. I'd be grateful for any advice.

2. Charise Clearwater

Charise Clearwater PetForums Newbie

Hey Sammy.

In my experience, kittens are going to be messy and kick litter everywhere they are still learning. This is a trait that they will still hold to adult hood.

I would recommend try the clumping litter, if it makes a genuine change then great. :) But beware, clumping litter is far more messy than wood pellets.

However, most prefer to use wood pellets due to the biodegradable content and the embed ‘pine smell’.

Have you tried a hooded litter box, to prevent litter being kicked period? Or put more litter in the tray to prevent digging all the way to the plastic?

Sammy20 likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wood pellets are best used with the correct litter tray, known as a sieve tray. In the UK the best quality sieve trays are made by a company called Brit Pet. These are the trays:

https://brit-pet.com/

One of the 6 trays I provide for my 4 cats is a Brit Pet sieve tray. One of my boys uses it occasionally. The other cats much prefer the other trays with the fine granular clumping litter made from cereals (e.g. Worlds Best or Super Benek) or shredded fir tree wood (Cats Best Oko Plus). These bear a similarity to the kind of coarse sand that our cats' desert ancestors would have used for their toilet.

Avoid using any clumping clay litters for kittens though, in case they get any of their paws and swallow it while grooming. It swells inside them and can cause an intestinal blockage needing surgery.

Summercat, Calvine and Sammy20 like this.
  4. Sammy20

Sammy20 PetForums Newbie

No but I do want to get a hooded box. And yes putting more litter in sounds like a very good idea, thank you.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you get a couple of hooded trays for them, please remove the door flaps that manufacturers insist on fitting. Cats hate being completely enclosed when at their toilet, they need to see who might be outside before they know it is safe to leave after they've finished their business.

Summercat and Sammy20 like this.
  6. Sammy20

Sammy20 PetForums Newbie

[QUOTE="chillminx, post: 1065617991, member: 124

Avoid using any clumping clay litters for kittens though, in case they get any of their paws and swallow it while grooming. It swells inside them and can cause an intestinal blockage needing surgery.[/QUOTE]

Is clumping clay type different to clumping sand?

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

We use wood pellets in sieve trays, no tacking, no mess, no odour, safe for kittens and very economical.

There are hoods available for the sieve trays.

Sammy20 likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Is clumping clay type different to clumping sand?[/QUOTE]

I believe they are the same thing, i.e. bentonite clay (which can be grey or white) but the name "sand" is not used for it in the UK. I think the name "sand" may be used for it in Canada?

Sammy20 likes this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I am not positive but if you use a bio plant based clumping litter not clay, I think it should be safe for kittens. I have one that is plant based. It does get scattered about, so I use litter mats from Trixie.
    A hooded tray is a good idea as well. Litter mats would probably also help with the wood based litter you currently have.

Sammy20 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice