Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat litter - what do you do?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by amylou8, Jul 23, 2009.

1. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

What does everybody do with the poo?!

I have been putting ours into nappy sacks and then the bin but have noticed it really smells, I have tried putting it in nappy sacks and then a box outside the back door but it stinks when we go into the garden. Just wondered how everybody else gets rid of theirs?!

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I had to apologise to my neighbour. He takes my bin out! My husband was mumbling about the smell. It dosn't help that we have fortnightly collections. Yuk!

3. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

We have weekly collections but it still gets so bad, I just wondered if I am missing some really obvious way of getting rid of it as I haven't seen anybody else ever post about this problem. I have tried all different brands of nappy sacks and it makes no difference!!

I couldn't cope with fortnightly collections, makes you wonder what they spend your council tax on?!:rolleyes:

4. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Just ordered a litter locker 11 to try and eliminate the stinking bin problem. Good reviews so thought we'd give it a try :)

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I use a non clumping litter. I collect up the poop and then flush it down the loo :D

6. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

What is a litter locker?

Toilet is a great idea as we also use non-clumping litter. They normally both go straight after dinner so I could wait and flush together (we are on water meter so need to think of water bill!):D

7. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Do you have space in your garden for a water but? You could then collect the rain water and use that to dump down the toilet instead of having to flush it.

8. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Unfortunately we don't have room for anything like that.

I have just looked on pets at home at the litter locker and think that might be the way to go, I didn't even know such a thing existed! Fingers crossed that it works!!

Thanks for all of your replies!

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

You know I have been thinking and I may get a nappy wrapper. I had one of these when my boys were babies, you put the bag off poo )well nappies at the time) into and it wrap it in scented something or other and then contains it in the bin.

I wonder if it would work with cat poo.

I have been looking at those cat loos and you train your cat to use the loo. I am a wee bit sceptical about it though.

10. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

dog poo bag + dustbin ;) with the other crap thats in there the cat poo dont make much difference.

11. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

It does in our house as we don't have much rubbish in the bin. All glass, plastic, paper etc is recycled and then we have a seperate bin for food waste so the black sacks just end up stinking of cat poo!!

12. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

That sounds like a good idea, I may also look into this! I don't fancy training the cats to use the loo, I think it would freak me out walking in and Mazie or Mickey sitting on the toilet (I have visions of them reading a paper!):D

13. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

mmm tastyy ;]

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Ha! No I am not sure I could share my loo with the cat to be honest.

15. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

i usualy triple bag the full tray worth when cleaning the entire tray out and when poop scooping double bag it in doggy poop bags then straight to the bin with it

#15 nanamoo, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  16. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I use a litter locker. It's fab.

17. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

you will all think i am crazy but i am saving up for a littermaid.. its an electronic self cleaning litter tray LOL yeah its pricey but i really think it will will be worth it as it seems more hygenic and there is supposedly no stink (according to the reviews)

18. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Cat Litter Disposal System by Litter Locker II is the new breakthrough in litter maintenance. Hygienic, easy to use, with an odourless system thanks to the 7-layer barrier film bags which lock in odours.

19. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

We use the wood litter which we put in the garden waste bin and flush the poo down the loo. :D

20. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If you feed your cat on an entirely raw diet then they produce far less poo and it doesn't smell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice