Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Litter Tray - Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Victor2001, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Victor2001

Victor2001 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am an A Level student studying Product Design.
    I would be very grateful to all the cat lovers/experts if a few of you could spend 5 minutes answering a few questions to help with my project and design.

I am needing these answers to help with my design but also use your answers as reasoning for my decisions as you guys are experts in this field :)
    1. Did your cat require any training to use the litter box?
    2. Where in the house do you place your litter boxes? What are the surroundings?
    3. What sort of litter box are you currently using? Open top, covered, high walls, etc?
    4. Do your cats spray? If so, how do you resolve that or clean up?
    5. Do your cats scratch the walls of your litter box?
    6. Do you find it hard to clean your litter box? Why?
    7. How frequently do you sieve through the litter box?
    8. How frequently do you clean and wash out the litter box?
    9. How have you found litter tracking and how have you helped to reduce it?
    10. When cleaning your litter box, do you bring the litter box to the bin, or the bin to the litter box?
    11. Does this depend on if the cleaning is thorough or quick?
    12. Do you use your household bin when cleaning out the litter box or use a plastic bag and get rid of it straight away?
    13. What is important to your cats when going to the toilet? Light, space, comfort, quiet, etc?
    14. Are your litter boxes discreetly hidden out of sight?
    15. What would you change/improve about your box and why?
    16. What necessities have you bought for your cat that you can’t live without? Relating to a litter box
    17. What would your ideal litter box contain or what issues would it solve?

Very very grateful!
    Thank you in advance!! :)

#1 Victor2001, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Victor2001 likes this.
  3. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

I am needing these answers to help with my design but also use your answers as reasoning for my decisions as you guys are experts in this field :)
    1. Did your cat require any training to use the litter box? - Only once when I brought him home, once he knew where it was he was fine
    2. Where in the house do you place your litter boxes? What are the surroundings? - His box is in the hall with the second in the study upstairs
    3. What sort of litter box are you currently using? Open top, covered, high walls, etc? - open top
    4. Do your cats spray? If so, how do you resolve that or clean up? - No, he is only a kitten
    5. Do your cats scratch the walls of your litter box? - no
    6. Do you find it hard to clean your litter box? Why? - no, I use a liner
    7. How frequently do you sieve through the litter box? - Twice a day
    8. How frequently do you clean and wash out the litter box? - Once very three days
    9. How have you found litter tracking and how have you helped to reduce it? - only a couple of bits when he covers a little overexcitedly
    10. When cleaning your litter box, do you bring the litter box to the bin, or the bin to the litter box? - Litter box to the bin
    11. Does this depend on if the cleaning is thorough or quick? - No
    12. Do you use your household bin when cleaning out the litter box or use a plastic bag and get rid of it straight away? - Plastic bag
    13. What is important to your cats when going to the toilet? Light, space, comfort, quiet, etc? - Quiet
    14. Are your litter boxes discreetly hidden out of sight? - no
    15. What would you change/improve about your box and why? - nothing, it is fine
    16. What necessities have you bought for your cat that you can’t live without? Relating to a litter box - liners make it so much easier
    17. What would your ideal litter box contain or what issues would it solve? Self cleaning and self refilling of new litter

Victor2001 likes this.
  4. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Victor2001 likes this.
  5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

• Did your cat require any training to use the litter box? - All 3 female cats took to the litter tray rather quickly as kittens.
    • Where in the house do you place your litter boxes? What are the surroundings? - 2 cats use my flower boarders to poop in, the trays tend to be for wee wee, I have litter trays all over the down stairs of the house.
    • What sort of litter box are you currently using? Open top, covered, high walls, etc? - 2 hooded trays, 2 big trays, 1 top box, 1 shallow large tray.
    • Do your cats spray? If so, how do you resolve that or clean up? - one of my cats sprays but generally outside to mark her territory, On the times she has sprayed indoors I use simple solution.
    • Do your cats scratch the walls of your litter box? - yes sometime to cover up.
    • Do you find it hard to clean your litter box? Why? - all very easy to clean
    • How frequently do you sieve through the litter box? - I change the litter as each tray is used.
    • How frequently do you clean and wash out the litter box? - Every day
    • How have you found litter tracking and how have you helped to reduce it? - I use recycled wood pellets so little tracking, plus I empty all the tray as used.
    • When cleaning your litter box, do you bring the litter box to the bin, or the bin to the litter box? - tray to bin.
    • Does this depend on if the cleaning is thorough or quick? - very quick just empty, wash dry refil.
    • Do you use your household bin when cleaning out the litter box or use a plastic bag and get rid of it straight away? - yes direct into my general waste bin, relieved the wood pellet are biodegradable and recycled.
    • What is important to your cats when going to the toilet? Light, space, comfort, quiet, etc? - space and quiet from the dogs.
    • Are your litter boxes discreetly hidden out of sight? - most are hidden.
    • What would you change/improve about your box and why? - nothing actually
    • What necessities have you bought for your cat that you can’t live without? Relating to a litter box - the washable mat.
    • What would your ideal litter box contain or what issues would it solve? - the hooded boxes to be more appealing to the eye, decor reasons.
    • Hope this helps

Victor2001 likes this.
  6. Victor2001

Victor2001 PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone!
    Just the answers I needed. Big help.

I am open to any more responses :)

7. Lirael

Lirael PetForums Junior

1. Did your cat require any training to use the litter box? My kittens were litter trained by the breeder, but pretty much learned by copying their mother. The breeder moved any accidents into the litter tray.
    2. Where in the house do you place your litter boxes? What are the surroundings? One is in the hall, in an area we rarely pass, and the other is beneath a table.
    3. What sort of litter box are you currently using? Open top, covered, high walls, etc? Mine both have covers for cleanliness and privacy. They are made of plastic, which has been designed to look like it's woven.
    4. Do your cats spray? If so, how do you resolve that or clean up? No.
    5. Do your cats scratch the walls of your litter box? They sometimes paw at the door whilst cleaning up and covering their business.
    6. Do you find it hard to clean your litter box? Why? No, although the plastic does get covered in scratch marks eventually, and can become discoloured over time.
    7. How frequently do you sieve through the litter box? Daily.
    8. How frequently do you clean and wash out the litter box? We don't have a rule. At least once a week, but more if necessary. The cats tend to use one more than the other.
    9. How have you found litter tracking and how have you helped to reduce it? I tend to Hoover it up but will invest in a mat soon.
    10. When cleaning your litter box, do you bring the litter box to the bin, or the bin to the litter box? I get a fresh bag and put the tray into this bag, emptying it, before I wash it thoroughly, disposing of cloths in the same bag.
    11. Does this depend on if the cleaning is thorough or quick? When emptying poo, I will use a dog poo bag and then take this to the bin.
    12. Do you use your household bin when cleaning out the litter box or use a plastic bag and get rid of it straight away? As mentioned, I use a plastic bag and I get rid of it straight away.
    13. What is important to your cats when going to the toilet? Light, space, comfort, quiet, etc? Difficult to say! They seem to appreciate the darker box (we have one that's ivory, and one that's charcoal).
    14. Are your litter boxes discreetly hidden out of sight? As much as is possible.
    15. What would you change/improve about your box and why? Nothing.
    16. What necessities have you bought for your cat that you can’t live without? Relating to a litter box Just litter and a scoop. And cat friendly disinfectant.
    17. What would your ideal litter box contain or what issues would it solve?

Victor2001 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice