Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat litter suitable for forever tray Scoopfree

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by michelamanfredini, Aug 22, 2013.

1. michelamanfredini

michelamanfredini PetForums Newbie

Hi everybody,
    I just moved in London, I have three persians that are moving here next week and I'm thinking about the best litter I can have for them.
    I always had the simple one, with box and clay, but since I have to be out of town at least once a month, I'd need an automatic litter.
    After a lot of searching and reading, I decided to go for ScoopFree.
    The trays are very expensive and to have a greener solution too, I'm thinking about having a forever tray but..
    This product is made in US, they suggest Fresh Step Litter (it's the best for odour control and crystal dimensions), but it's not sold in UK.
    Does anyone has some experience to share?

2. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

I am not too sure to what you are referring but I use Sophisticat granules for my cats who are housebound. It is supposed to last one cat a month but it doesn't quite but the best I have tried. you just scoop the poop and the liquid sinks to the bottom. There is no smell until the litter needs changing.

I have noticed that since I stopped using the ones which cause a lot of dust, my cats do not cough as they did previously, so its a winner all the way around.

It is around £4.00 a bag. Often Wilkinson has a special offer on and this is when I stock up.

I hope this helps?

3. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Isn't Fresh Step a corn/wheat based litter? If so, try Greencat, Worlds Best or Sweetscoop. You could also try Golden Pine (very small granules, biodegradable and clumps well).

4. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

5. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

regarding being out of town once a month, surely someone will be coming to feed them so why not get them to sort the litter trays out too?
    would work out cheaper :D

6. michelamanfredini

I have also 3kg automatic feeder and 5L Drinkwell fountain :)
    So the problem I have to solve is poo. :)
    From what I read on forums, the problems are:
    1. the dimensions of granules
    2. the odour control
    3. the capacity of absorbing moisture

The US version has Fresh Step Crystals, I asked if it's possible to have it in UK, but they didn't sell it directly (and with 3 cats it's not possible to use Amazon or any other online oversea supplier).
    Anyone of you have direct experience of these litters with ScoopFree?

7. Satori

"ScoopFree is the first automated litter tray that you can leave for up to 30 days. Easy to assemble each replacement cartridge comes complete with crystal litter which locks away odours. Please note that this UK version does not contain FreshStep Crystals as in America but ScoopFree have sourced a comparable alternative for their UK customers."

8. michelamanfredini

Sartori I get it :)
    The fact is that with 3 cats, ScoopFree Original Tray is too expensive!!!
    You need to change the tray at least twice a month.. and it's not exactly a green solution to throw it all away all the time.
    So, it exist this Forever Tray that you keep and use it with your own litter.
    Due to the mechanism of ScoopFree, not all crystal litter could be used.
    This is why I'm asking :)

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Satori is not suggesting that you change the tray. She is suggesting a litter alternative. Read the page, and you will see that they actually suggest a litter that is easily available in the UK.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

He Carly, he!

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Why on earth did I assume Satori was a she! I automatically assume that about everyone on here unless blatantly obvious by the user name... Which is why I thought JR was a man... As I know more boy Jordans than girl jordans (even though I know some of both). I'm hopeless!

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

We did have a big clue - a photo was posted and everyone was surprised!

13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

That's called an unfair advantage!

14. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

I also used to think JR was a boy lol

15. Satori

Pennies dropped. You want to move away from scoopfree. Just in case it helps though; vetuk sell the scoopfree replacement trays for £12.18

16. michelamanfredini

I read it, as I read a lot of forums. I looked also the product mentioned, but from what I can see I doubt that it actually work.
    What I'm trying to find is a person who actually have Forever Tray in UK.
    He/she must use something different from Fresh Step and maybe have tried different kind of litter, and specifically silica crystals, the ones suggested both from ScoopFree and the manufacturer of Forever Tray.
    I know it's not easy but it worth a try :)

17. Satori

If you were to email Clorox and ask if they have a uk equivalent brand or, if not, whether they can tell you the crystal dimensions then you should be able to find an alternative.

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Except me, as I'd already worked it out from little clues he gave in his posts!:D;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice