Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat litter question

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MaineCoonMommy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

We tried the litter kwitter but I decided it was too many cooks in the kitchen lol, considering my 20 month old is being toilet trained and my 3 year old is used to going on her own but the litter kwitter was constantly there.

I purchased a covered litter tray and use the Pets at Home wood pellet litter. However, whenever Minoush tries to cover his poo he gets it all over his paws, and today it was even all along the bottom of his hind legs.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the type of litter?

Also I'm thinking about switching to clumping cat litter thinking it may be more hygienic, but wonder if it does last longer that the non-clumping wood pellets?

2. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

I use Oko plus now, my last 40 litre bag has lasted 2 months with four cats over three months. I have three 30l bags that I have only just started this weekend with the next 3 bags due to be delivered on Wednesday, so I'll not need some for a while now. This litter last well, tracks a bit though but I don't mind that so much. Just means the hoover comes out more often, however vetbed in front of the litter trays has reduced the tracking.

3. MaineCoonMommy

Ahh I was looking at this litter brand earlier. Does it clump well? We've only had Minoush 3 weeks but I've gone through about half the 30L Pets at Home wood pellet litter. I'm thinking I'm cleaning out the litter tray too much but I'm a germophobe and I'm thinking about all that soiled litter sitting at the bottom LOL.

4. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

I find it clumps really well, number twos are a different matter and although mine try and cover them up well. You sometimes get an almighty whiff when disturbed to remove, but I was complimented on my house not smelling of cats when people came round to see the kittens despite at the time I had seven cats running around. I put this all done to Oko plus and would not go back to previoulsy used litters. But this is a personal preference and I would suggets try it and see what you think. I clean the litter trays out twice a day and you only need to remove the lumps and clumps.

5. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Is Minoush the 20 month old??

I ask because my youngest, who is 10 months, occasionally does this too, gets poo on his paws when he tries too hard to bury his
    poo :(

I've used a few different types of litter, and to be honest, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's clumping (Natures Gold) or non clumping (Purr and Simple). I'm hoping it will improve with age, but if Minoush is 20 months old, and my boy still does it then, I have a long wait :eek:

6. MaineCoonMommy

LOL No, Minoush is 16 weeks! I have two daughters, one is 20 months old and the other is 3!:lol: Oh dear, so litter type doesn't matter? I wonder if that litter clumps well though. I'd like to be able to clean out all the soiled litter as it happens, rather than letting the wet litter crumble to the bottom and me dumping out good litter in my attempts to sanitize the litter box. :rolleyes:

7. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Phew, that's a relief to hear Minoush is 16 wks!!!!! I'm sure he will grow out of it. My boy, who is rather a late developer :rolleyes: is improving.

Natures Gold is made by Oko. It doesnt clump *quite* as well as the previous litter I used which was Worlds Best, but it still clumps well. The benefit of Natures Gold is that it doesn't stick to my cats bums like Worlds Best did, and it also tracks far less, so it gets the thumbs up from me.

I've linked a thread about Natures Gold. I hope you find it of some use :D

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/152315-cats-best-nature-gold.html

8. MaineCoonMommy

Thanks for the feedback and the link!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice