Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat litter box liners/matting?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by leo_ge, May 11, 2016.

1. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Hello!

Our cat uses an open litter box with clumping white litter and all is good for it.
    Each time after it used the toilet, we take away most of what it produced.
    About once a week we replace the litter and here is the problem:

If we haven't laid anything under the litter inside the box, there's a lot of s..t on the bottom which is difficult and unpleasant to clean. If we use litter box bags, then during the week the cat scratches holes in the bag and also it all looks ugly, as the plastic gets inflated and has large folds.

Can anybody advice of a solution?

Maybe there exists some kind of one-time plastic matting, which can be put beneath the litter to avoid scrubbing the box floor each time when emptying the box?

Thanks in advance...

2. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Just to elaborate: I think the problem with plastic bags is that they go round the edges of the tray, so the cat when entering/exiting, folds and scratches them.

If there were just plane stiff plastic sheets which would lay under the litter and not stick from sides, then when you clean it, you just through the litter and raise the sheet and don't need to scrub the floor.

3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I have never used liners I would think they are more trouble than they are worth. I know some people use newspaper but I'm inclined to just shake the litter to one side and clean the base of the tray. Be interested to know if there are other types of liners.

pollypage likes this.
  4. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

OK, I think I found the solution in the internet: people advice just to put a folded newspaper underneath.
    Seems a great solution and you don't need to scrub it.

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Is the litter deep enough? The tray should be scrubbed clean when you change it anyway, whether there is any visible mess or not. I have to agree that tray liners are a waste of time and if you were to find a kind of matting surely you would have the same problem as with just the tray

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You aren't putting the litter deep enough if it is seeping to the bottom of the box.

Torin. likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

9. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

I still think disposable matting is much different than just box without anything, as I would through the matting away and will not have to scrub the box.

Matting is also better than lining bags, as it doesn't stick on the sides.
    I'll try using newspapers or cardboard as matting, but I'll also try (thanks for this advice) to put more litter.

Currently when we clean it, the box floor is covered with cemented cat's waste and it is hard to clean it and not pleasant at all.

10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Deep, deep litter as others have said is the key.

When I started using a wood based clumping litter, it was clumping all the way to the surface of the tray and sticking to it. Now it's deeper the clumps are separate little balls (or big depending on which cat did it :)) that just pop out easily.

11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

What litter are you using? Any litter that contains bentonite does set like cement. I would try a change of litter.

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

What liter are you using? I used golden graham and there are loads of old threads and newish ones on the best litter. A lot of cheaper supermarket litters are not good at doing what is needed.

13. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Yes they set into hard clumps - but if the litter is deep enough, then nothing should get through to the bottom of the tray & the clumps are easy to remove

[​IMG]

Torin. likes this.
  14. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Lol! Liddy has deep litter but loves digging to Australia! I don't have any problems cleaning her tray though.

15. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Not sure you are cleaning it often enough.

When I used non clumping I had a plastic liner then newspaper then litter. I cleaned it once a day and it was fine.

However I discovered clumping and haven't looked back. No liner no paper just litter cleaned twice a day for 4 cats and then topped up!!

16. pollypage

pollypage PetForums Member

I change Rosie's litter box every couple of days so it doesn't get so bad and I clean it with hot soapy water each time, I don't like to leave it any longer than a couple of days

17. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I echo everyone else about litter depth. For Flicka's main litter tray she has clumping clay litter. And the only time anything sticks to the bottom is when I've been a bit late in topping it up depth-wise (down to maybe 4cm). 99% of the time it's as @Lilylass says that the clumps are free in the loose litter to be easily removed.

Lilylass likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice