Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat leg amputation

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cdawson, Apr 5, 2011.

1. cdawson

cdawson PetForums Newbie

Hi. Not sure if anyone can help me. This is the first time I've subscribed to any sort of online chat/forum but I am faced with the decision of whether or not to have my 8 year old cat's front leg amputated. He was bitten on the leg last September and following that developed lymphoedema in the leg which builds up and then drains out (usually all over the carpet)! The vet says it won't get better and the best treatment would be amputation. There are some other highly experimental operations but the outcome from these is variable.
    I have read that cats adapt very well to only having 3 legs but wondered if anyone out there had any experience they could share with me?

2. MissyMV6

MissyMV6 PetForums Senior

Hiya,well my boy Smedley was 18 when he came home one day limping.The vets said he must have trapped his leg and twisted it to get free he had completely shattered it at the top:( I had 3 options 1 was to try and repair the fracture (turned out it was too damaged to repair anyway).2 was to have him put to sleep and 3 was to have it amputated. I decided on the spot to go for amputation and I am so glad I did:smile: Despite his age he adapted almost immediately his remaining front leg grew in size with muscle and he used to place his leg in the middle of his body for balance.It never held him back and he lived until he was 20 :smile:

Angie x

3. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear of your cats bad leg, didn't just want to read and run. Sorry I have no experience of this but as the previous poster said her cat coped well and cats are very adaptable so I am sure everything will turn out ok. My only experience of cats having anything removed is of the eyes. My Scamp has one eye and adapted extremely fast, he is the second one eyed cat I have had and they both coped really well, I think we see all the potential problems and they just get on with it :) Hope it all works out and good luck with your decision.

4. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

When you see some of these pet rescue programmes on tv and a cat needs to have an amputation they all seem to learn and adapt very quickly.
    There is a three legged cat that lives near to my house but you try and stop him climbing onto walls and trees.

5. Smamfar

Smamfar PetForums Junior

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your cats poorly leg.

I have fostered a couple of cats who have had to have a leg amputated. They always amaze me how quickly they are up and about and seem totally un-phased by it. In time they will learn to position the remaining leg more centrally. After a while will jump and run as usual. One even insisted on climbing to the top of a three tier scratch post but up the post not the platforms!!

If it was any of my cats I wouldn't hesitate.

It can look drastic after the operation due to the size of the shaved area and the obvious suture wound but it will heal quickly and the hair will eventually grow back and cover any scar.

I think I have a few photos somewhere, if you want to see I will try to post them for you.

6. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear This, If the options are not too expensive I would try to save it, You would really have to take the Vets advise on this one. But as others have said he should be able to adapt well if amputation is the only option. Keep us posted and lets see some pics of your little Man. Fingers crossed for the best outcome here.

7. louise cat crazy lady

louise cat crazy lady PetForums Member

Hi. I had a cat Marley who had to have a leg amputated as it was very badly broken, we had tried to fix it first but it just wasn't working. My mum has his sister who got hit by a car and had to have a leg amputated too! Both cats adapted amazingly. Marley was still the local hard nut haha (he was killed by anti freeze poisoning 1 1/2 years ago :mad:).
    What i will say is that it's very distressing for you to watch at first. While marley was still working out his balance he used to flap around like a fish out of the water when he tried to get up :( It didn't take him too long though.
    I think amputation is the best thing for your cat by the sound of it. Good luck!

8. clairesparky

clairesparky PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Just had to reply and say our little Sophie was only 2 when she fell out of a tree and wrenched the nerves in her shoulder, her front leg became useless and was dragging as she was unable to use it. Our lovely vet advised amputation and although it was heartbreaking for us:cryin: she never seemed to have a problem. Just a week after the operation she was running around like nothing had ever happened. My OH was very protective and made ramps and steps all over the garden:D LOL. I wouldn't think twice, if the vet is recommending the amputation I am sure it is in the cats best interest. Sophie plays with our other three cats and certainly gives as good as she gets. Again the OH treats her with kid gloves and she has turned into a diva!!! She has no problem getting around and still climbs trees with the rest of them.
    Good luck and I look forward to hearing your progress.

If I knew how to attach a picture I would!!!!

9. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Simple to post pics, Click on the icon second right of the smiley then browse and save the pic you want. Now lets see some pics of you little dudes.

#9 Amin, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. cdawson

cdawson PetForums Newbie

Thanks to all who replied on this. It's all really helpful information. I know I 'humanise' my pets and my vet has said that they do not feel the same emotion that humans do over losing a limb but that doesn't make it any easier. :( I know I've got to be especially strong when I see him trying to walk again.
    I'll keep you posted on his progress and hopefully will be able to post a photo soon of him up a tree!!:)

11. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

It must be really hard for you :( but animals aren't as self aware as us and there are so many stories of them adapting well. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery

A friend of mine told me a story - when he was a little kid his cat has his front leg amputated. They took poor kitty home after the op and the whole family was crying. They left the cat in the living room while they got it a treat...when they came back he had gone. The cat had pushed open the window (inc opening the latch lol) and climbed the nearest tree :eek: it took them a while to get him back down and the vet gave them a real telling off when he found out :rolleyes: and recovery is slow...but no one told the cat he was supposed to be convalescing :blink: :tongue_smilie:

12. Smamfar

Smamfar PetForums Junior

A few photos of the cat I fostered with a front leg amputated... (hope they don't come out too big!)

Attached Files:

13. Smamfar

Smamfar PetForums Junior

A few pictures of the cat I fostered with a rear leg amputated :) both very happy cats who adapted quickly after the operation.

I thought I had a few more of when this cat first arrived on the day of his op but don't seem to be able to find them, but will post them if I do. He was a little wobbly at first but it didn't take him long to figure the logistics out.

Attached Files:

14. Amandamiller

Amandamiller PetForums Newbie

Hi I no there's many of people out there where there cats have lost there front legs but my cat is due 2morrow mornin 2 have his front left leg and shoulder blade off! I carnt stop cryin as I don't no how my poor baby is goin 2 cope he's 4 years old and a beautiful long haired black and White but very heavy cat I just need the reassureance that he will b ok but it's killing me that he won't b please help x

15. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi there!

Really sorry to hear this but not read this thread before! How has your cat been coping since you first posted?

Have you ever thought of getting a second opinion? Sometimes a different vet might have a different approach.

16. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Hi Amanda, I'm sorry you and your cat are facing this, but please try and calm down, because your cat will sense your upset and anxiety and it will make him upset and anxious too.

I know the thought of it is not pleasant, but there are lots of people on here whose cats have gone on to lead long, healthy and active lives after amputation - and I'm sure that's what you want for your baby too. I don't have personal experience, but I do have a friend with an amputee cat and until you take a second look, you don't even realise. She's a heavy cat too but at the moment she's giving their new 6 month old kitten a run for her money!

Your vet wouldn't have advised this if s/he wasn't confident he would be fine afterwards. Vets are very committed to maintaining quality of life and if they thought your cat would be miserable and incapable of moving around freely afterwards they wouldn't even contemplate the idea.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow - you have to stay strong for your baby as he's going to need you to take care of him in the next few days as he recovers from the operation. We're all here for you - perhaps tomorrow you could start a new thread of your own telling us how he's getting on.

Take care.

17. Amandamiller

Amandamiller PetForums Newbie

Hi thanku 4 ur kind messages I was so tired last nite I didn't realise the time and wrote that Micky was havin the opp 2morrow well in actual fact it was 2day! I've not been 2 c him as the vet has advised me not 2 as he needs as much rest as possible, they finished the opp at 11:45 and then phoned me at 3:00 and said they had made him walk a little bless him and have said he's doin really well which I will c for myself 2morrow wen he's aloud 2 come home....yippppeeee! He's not managed 2 eat anything but there sayin that's fine as it cud b because of the opp or he's just missing home bless him! I so can not wait till 2morrow 2 c my little man again x

18. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

It sounds as though he's doing great. I'm sure he will be just as pleased to see you and get back home as you are to have him back.

Keep us posted with how Micky is getting on, and some photos would be nice, when he's up to it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice