Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat leaving presents on the floor!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sianemily, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sianemily

sianemily PetForums Newbie

My cat has recently started leaving 'presents' outside of the litter tray for some unknown reason.

This year I moved out of my house to move back in with my mum who already has 2 female cats that are 9 years old. I have 2 male cats that are 3 (max) and 2 (lucas).

Lucas has started leaving poos just outside of the litter tray even when the litter tray has been clean! I noticed that one of my mum's cats had done this a few times aswell.

Does anybody have any idea why he is doing this? Is it under protest? I'm feeling quite bad that I have may given him some stress or something by moving my cats into a place where there are already 2 cats that they didn't grow up with!!

Many Thanks Sian. :confused:

2. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I also moved recently and two of my four cats started doing exactly the same thing. At first I'd be finding at least one poo a day, always in the same place for each cat, but slowly it lessened from every two or three days to once a week. One cat has stopped completely now and the other does it very rarely. Also if my cats don't feel well and have a dodgy stomach they'll do it next to the box. Sometimes it can just be their way of telling you they're upset, which a change of home could easily cause.

Don't feel bad, eventually they'll stop, and I don't think cats generally act out of protest - it's just their way of saying their a bit upset.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Did you make the introductions gradually between your cats and your mum's cats when you moved in? Keeping one lot completely separate at first from the other lot and doing lots of scent-swapping between the two groups ? Then allowing short periods of supervised access until the cats felt more comfortable with each other?

How many litter trays are you providing? For 4 cats, especially if they are all indoor cats you need to put down 5 large trays. If they go out sometimes, then you could get away with 4 trays. Spread them around the house in areas of quiet traffic, so the cats have privacy to toilet.

Many cats do not like sharing litter trays with other cats, especially ones they don't know. It could be your mum's cats are subtly, by their body language, putting off your cat from using the litter tray, and your cat doesn't feel confident enough to stand up for himself.

Use a litter that is soft on their paws, such as Oko Plus cereal based litter, as this encourages them to dig in the tray.

4. sianemily

sianemily PetForums Newbie

We did introduce them slowly, just incase there was any fighting. One of the boys seems to get on well with girls, but one of the girls doesn't seem to like the other boy cat. He has just started going to the toilet outside which is kind of helping, but it's the other boy cat that is doing his business on the floor. Even when he is outside and needs to use the littler tray he will scratch to come in and use the litter tray rather than going outside, so I figured it might be just what he is comfortable with.

We use 2 trays at the moment as the 2 girl cats don't use them often, I shall try adding more trays and spreading them round the house and see how that works! Thanks for the advice. :)

Hopefully we won't have any more presents in the near future!! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice