UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just moved into a new house and kept the cats in for two weeks, worried that they'd disappear. When we did finally let them out, they came and went without any problems.

Unfortunately on Monday night I found Tom dragging himself up the drive, his rear legs unable to move. Clearly he'd been hit by a car and after an emergency visit to the vets, he remains in their care. An xray did not highlight any fracture however I am told the spine is too soft to show up on a xray. He is eating well and purring but remains without the use of his back legs.

The vet says that she has seen these cases before and the next 2-3 days is vital in hoping that Tom is just badly bruised and is able to regain the use of his back legs. She is positive but cautious. We are visiting him daily. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Thanks

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I used to work in a rescue centre and a cat came in with severe bruising along his back. It was so bad he couldn't walk but X-rays didn't show any breakages so we dosed him up with pain killers and saw how he went. I'm pleased to say he made a full recovery but he couldn't walk much for weeks as there was some nerve damage but after a few wobbly weeks he was fine.

Unfortunately we did have others that after a few days clearly weren't going to be ok. So I think it's worth it to see how he is in a few days as bruising and swelling can restrict them a lot.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
My cat Oscar was run over last year outside my house the car went over his head and he had extensive injuries to his jaw and also nerve damage to his front paw! The vet said there was nothing they could do for his paw and if the feeling didn't come back they would have to amputate it! Luckily his paw regained feeling within a week and he now uses it no trouble! He does however have a limp when it's cold!
Hope your cat recovers let us know how he gets on :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Just to add that he will make a much better recovery at home so as soon as possible, bring him home. Its a known fact that cats have a much better chance of recovery in their own home.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Oh poor little cat good vibes sending from here too.

Oscarsmam - wow your cat did really well to recover from that.
Yes he did really well bless him he broke his bottom pallatte from back to front straight down the middle, his top pallatte was broken, had to have his front teeth out and a fang filed down so it didn't go through the roof if his mouth, his jaw was wired up and a plate with screw through his bottom pallatte to hold it together! He was in intensive care for 2 weeks and was touch and go for the first 10 days and when I did get him home he had to be fed food all mashed up and pain killer syringed into his mouth bless him every 4 hours but he did make it through :) his vet bill was £5,700 luckily he was insured for £5,000 so we only had £700 to find! He's my little star :D

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Just to add that he will make a much better recovery at home so as soon as possible, bring him home. Its a known fact that cats have a much better chance of recovery in their own home.
This is so true! The vet kept saying to me we really want him home ASAP but he couldn't come home cos he kept being sick and was losing weight rapidly! As soon as he started to keep his food down that's when he was allowed home after 2 weeks, once home Oscar came on leaps and bounds, the vet couldn't believe it when we took him back 2 weeks later, he was still underweight but had gained so much while being at home :)
Good luck to your little fella xx

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
When I was a child, our cat was hit by a car or, like the vet thought because of his injuries and the oil on his fur, by a motorbike. He was much like you describe your cat.
We took him home and made him a litter tray of cartboard and a cartboard bed next to it, as he couldnᷰt climb into his usul litter tray or out of his real cat bed.

He made a full recovery, the only thing we noticed about him afterwards was that he would misjudge his jumps and fall short....

·
Registered
656 Posts
hello , im so sorry to hear that :( poor baby. my marley was herself hit by a car , and sadly has been left with some sort off brain damage :(

although i know she is so lucky.

no useful advice apart from lots off hugs for him, and i am thinking off you both , i know how worrying it is xxxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi - the concern is his legs and whether they will recover. I'd love to get him home but at the moment the vet is having to express his bladder for him. The vet has updated this morning and says that he is eating and purring which is a good sign and he had some reflex when the vet shoved a needle into his leg for pain relief. I suppose it is a waiting game.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We've just moved into a new house and kept the cats in for two weeks, worried that they'd disappear. When we did finally let them out, they came and went without any problems.

Unfortunately on Monday night I found Tom dragging himself up the drive, his rear legs unable to move. Clearly he'd been hit by a car and after an emergency visit to the vets, he remains in their care. An xray did not highlight any fracture however I am told the spine is too soft to show up on a xray. He is eating well and purring but remains without the use of his back legs.

The vet says that she has seen these cases before and the next 2-3 days is vital in hoping that Tom is just badly bruised and is able to regain the use of his back legs. She is positive but cautious. We are visiting him daily. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Thanks
You lucky he is still alive, my cat Chloe my black cat got hit by a speeding car and got killed on impact sadly (he wandered to far from the house), still miss him today and want to get another black and white cat like him.

I pray your cat has a speedy recovery and it is just bruising hopefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An update. Tom is making progress and slowly getting his movement back but still unable to stand. Seems very happy himself although still unable to empty his bladder himself. We were intent on bringing him home on Saturday subject to being able to successfully express his bladder ourselves. Unfortunately this was not something we could master and we decided to leave him at the vets for the time being. So if anyone has some tips on finding the bladder do share them. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.