Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat, KFC and Chicken Vindaloo

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by oracleseer, Oct 10, 2019.

1. oracleseer

oracleseer PetForums Junior

One of my cats, Bungle, has come a long way since I took him in. Bungle was a stray and well known in the neighbourhood for raiding other peoples cat dishes, and was looking pretty worn and haggled when I took him in almost a year ago.
    But he's looking like a new cat these days, silky coat and fit instead of fat.
    But this cat doesn't stop eating. Kentucky fried Chicken, Chicken Vindaloo, Minced beef and onion pie and chips, he loves chips, he literally pulls food out off my plate!

I don't usually let him but sometimes he gets frantic for it, but surely it can't be good for him?

Why does he eat so much? I can understand being a stray he has survived on his own, but human food? Curry? He loves Chillies!

He's male, un-neutered though that is in the pipeline, and I've just found out he's about 15 years old.
    He's costing me a fortune because my other cat Biscuit eats more to compete with him.

A vet suggested that an un-neutered male will eat until the cows come home, but could there be any other reason for this? He's extremely fit these days so he doesn't appear to have any health problems.

Any ideas?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Lucky boy, that you've given him a home! I'm not sure about unneutered cats having insatiable appetites but as it's been a year, he is way overdue being neutered.

I would definitely recommend simply preventing him from eating food for humans - it won't be doing him any good whatsoever and onions/onion powder are very poisonous to cats.

spotty cats, lorilu and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. oracleseer

Thanks.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm wondering what else might be causing him to eat so much? He ate a lot in the first few months when he first attached himself to me, but once he moved in his appetite 'normalised', but just recently he's started again. Seriosuly I've seen hungry dogs eat less than him!

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Maybe check with the vet. Ex stray cats can eat loads as they have had to compete for resources outside. But also they can eat lots if their food is not high in nutrition, and most human foods aren't at all nutritious for a cat!! He should be on a high quality pate style wet food which would fill him up much better.

oracleseer and lorilu like this.
  5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

As he's 15years old and
    I would have him booked in for a senior health check

oracleseer and lorilu like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Food anxiety is common in former strays. But he may be hyperthyroid so when you get the pre-op blood work done have a senior panel done including thyroid (t-4, free t-4). But don't put it off. As has been said he is way over due for the neuter and blood work will give you a good idea of his health status.

oracleseer, spotty cats and Calvine like this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

No: I've taken in three entire toms and I don't think they were any more greedy than the others (except initially when they first got decent food to eat). In fact one of them now is extremely choosy about what he will or won't eat. Anyway, he sounds like a lucky cat. My friend's cat eats pizza apparently, given the chance.

oracleseer and gskinner123 like this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

It's not uncommon for Toms which have been entire for many years to be FIV+ . . . one of mine was, tho' lived a long and happy life with the minimum of treatment. Dental was the first thing we did.

oracleseer likes this.
  9. oracleseer

I've done a quick search on FLV and he displays no symptoms of illness except one eye tends to water a lot. He's (now) a really healthy looking cat..He has a patch of fur missing above one eye, I thought it might have grown back by now, but other than eating too much he seems fine.

10. oracleseer

I went to the bathroom, when I came out he'd polished off a box of Ritz crackers!

11. oracleseer

Yes I think I need to get him checked out properly. He seems to be greedy rather than anxious...he lives for the sound of anything that might contain food!

12. oracleseer

Yes I think I need professional advice on this.

SbanR likes this.
  13. oracleseer

Here's an example of today: By 12 pm he'd eaten a tin of cat food then decided to come for a walk with me to where my other cat hangs about, because he knew I'd gone to feed him. So I gave him another satchet of food and he came back home with me. An hour later, my neighbour phoned because Bungle had gone to hers, soppy eyes, as if he hadn't been fed all week. She fed him dry food. I called him and he came home, another satchet. It's now 9:30pm and he's eaten three more satchets, and while I was in the bathroom, he polished off a box of Ritz crackers.

If I don't feed him, he annoys neighbours. Don't know what to do with him.

14. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

That's alot of food :eek:

I wouldnt let him eat any dry food, it will just make him put weight on too fast. Sounds like an old habit for him which needs to be trained out of him, but that could be long process! Make sure he is up to date with his worming though.

oracleseer likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

As has been suggested, take him to the vet for a senior blood profile, sooner rather than later. As in this week.

oracleseer likes this.
  16. oracleseer

1:36am Sardines !

17. oracleseer

Pistachio Ice cream.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice