Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat keeps killing baby birds

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by peruviankitty, May 22, 2019.

1. peruviankitty

peruviankitty PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have had my cat for a large number of years but since we have moved house she has killed any moving thing including mice. We have a bird house in our garden which Great Tits were living and four babies. They came out of the house last night but just sat on the floor. Just woke up and my cat has killed 2/4. My family will blame my cat for the attack even though I understand it’s something she is wired to do. Should I convince them to remove the bird house because it doesn’t seem fair?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Could you keep your cat indoors until the babies have flown the nest? Or have a cat run for her so that she can go out bit the birds will be safe?
    It is natural for her to hunt but you need to do all you can to keep her away from the nest box. It's too late to move that away now as the parents will abandon it before the chicks are able to survive on their own

chillminx and Jackie C like this.
  3. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I hope your family don't blame you, your cat is doing what is natural to her. It's not out of mallous, it's just instinct to her.
    If you could keep her in, that would be ideal, or as @lymorelynn says, a cat run.

chillminx likes this.
  4. peruviankitty

peruviankitty PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for replying, unfortunately the other babies have already left the nest. They left a bit too early and so couldn’t fly and despite covering them last night one still escaped. We cannot find the other two so I pray they escaped.

@Jackie C Hopefully they don’t blame her either.

5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I hope they're okay. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice